Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anderson and Munoz say draft Sewell if there
(04-18-2021, 03:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Willie Anderson wants Sewell, but he also said 'it's going to be hard to not take Chase' and he would 'understand the decision to pick Chase'. He referred to the decision as the 'chicken or the egg', saying 'the QB could use a new shiny toy, but you better hope you protect him'. 

He's had probably the most reasonable responses I've heard so far, because he can make legitimate arguments for both sides, even though he prefers one over the other.

As someone else has said on here, he's been pretty adamant on Sewell on his Twitter. Probably gave in to peer pressure a bit on the Podcast.

And tbh, I don't think reasonable should always be associated with the people who waffle and don't take a firm stance. In my mind, it's unreasonable to NOT be firm about this, when considering all factors...which include Burrow's knee, the similar talent level between Sewell/Chase, us objectively needing more bodies on the line than at WR, needing Mixon's production to match his contract, etc.

Yes, Chase is a fantastic prospect, and sure we could use him. But beyond that, there is a clear correct decision in my book, and the book of every Bengals legend who has spoken on this topic.

(04-18-2021, 03:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For me it's been clear that the best OL at the top of the draft is the way to go.  It makes the statement of, "We have our franchise QB, now it's time to build around him.".  Protecting Joe means more than just holding off edge rushers 50-60 times per game, it's also building a rushing attack so that Joe has confidence that he can also hand the ball off 45-50% of the time, and get positive production as well.

Wouldn't it be nice if 3rd and 2 wasn't automatically a passing situation?  Sure, adding one extremely talented OT isn't going to fix all of what's been wrong with the OL, but a physical, aggressive player like Sewell is a great place to start.  I also see the need to strengthen the interior of the OL, which is why I've been fully on board with the Bengals using their 3rd or even 2nd pick on the best Guard available that fits the outside zone run blocking scheme.  I say 2nd or 3rd pick, because I also feel like the Bengals have a strong need for adding another pass rusher to the DL.

While I do see the point of surrounding your franchise QB with weapons, I also feel like Joe is good enough to elevate the weapons provided to him.  I mean, you don't draft a man who's eventually going to cost you over 20% of your yearly salary cap without having the confidence in him to elevate the players around him.  That is why it is painfully obvious to me that if you want to see this team start winning, you must build through the trenches, and give your franchise QB a fighting chance.

Preach! When you look at the elite QBs over the years (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, etc) how many elite WRs have those guys had?? Really that's all that needs said.

Those teams let their elite QBs improve the guys around them. They draft linemen and defense. They don't sign WRs to monster contracts. Seems every one of those guys had a new #1 every few years because their team would just let guys like Wallace, Santonio Holmes, Welker etc walk.

People aren't trying to hear that though.

(04-18-2021, 08:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I wanted to touch on this real quick too, because I've seen more people saying it. It's not so much that they need a 'speedy' receiver. There are a lot of speedy guys in this draft, but a lot of them are best suited for the slot. The Bengals need a legit outside receiver, who is also fast enough to at least make defenses respect his vertical game. They don't currently have a true outside receiver to play opposite Higgins. With the amount of 11 personnel that Zac will likely be running again, that's a problem. 

Sure, technically we need a starter who is fast...but the production is already there with Higgins and Boyd. A guy like Terrence Marshall (or someone else) could step in, provide - at a bare minimum - what we need.

Which is roughly 80 targets, 50 catches and be a deep threat. If that player develops into more than that, great! But we really don't NEED more than that. On the line, we definitely need some elite talent.

That's why I'm all in on Sewell, even though I think Chase is great. I also factor in lots of other factors like viewing Burrow as an elite QB in the making, and not wanting to pay massive contracts to a QB and a WR... ala the Falcons. Who haven't achieved much since those contracts were inked.

(04-19-2021, 08:00 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Wasn't there a couple former WRs saying take the lineman? Ninja

Yep. Housh and Tim McGee are firmly on team Sewell.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anderson and Munoz say draft Sewell if there - Shake n Blake - 04-22-2021, 12:43 PM