Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Greenberg on 1530 today.
(04-22-2021, 10:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I like Dyami Brown, but you listed 10-12 "really great" WRs.  Can you list more that you are sure will be there in Rd 2 that are NOT slot WRs, but outside WRs that can get open quickly and have great downfield ball-tracking skills?  This is the biggest area of need for the offense when it comes to threatening all parts of the field.  

Not true at all.  Darrisaw, Cosmi, Eichenberg, Leatherwood, Jenkins, Mayfield, Radunz are all likely top 50 picks.  The high ceiling and abilities you list for Slater and Sewell are not exclusive to them.  They both have length question marks and Sewell played a poor level of competition.  He had some struggles when he faced Auburn.  Every talking head says the same things about Sewell:  He is so big, carries the weight so well, and moves so quickly for a big man.  Well, Spencer Brown is BIGGER, MORE ATHLETIC, and STRONGER.  Brown had a short shuttle time faster than some running backs.  Why is he not the #1 OT on the board.  Because of technique and level of competition.  And I LOVE Brown as a developmental RT.  Would I love Sewell or Slater in stripes?  Yes.  Will I use the #5 overall pick for a guy that will likely start at RG and (hopefully) be our RT of the future?  No.  

On this team, I am not moving Jonah from LT.  He played very well in what was essentially his rookie season with an absolute zero next to him at LG.  Hated the scheme and coach as well.  I am not saying Sewell is a RT, but on this team that is his best fit.  He hasn't played in over a year and I am not starting him week 1 at LT.  

Pitts is a heck of an athlete, but the Bengals simply don't operate with a TE in 11 personnel more than any NFL team.  He also doesn't have close to the short-space quickness of Chase.  Chase was one of two athletes that posted a sub 4-second short shuttle. If you know anything about WRs and abilities to run routes and create separation, that is a vital skill.  Chase is also ridiculously strong for a WR.  He benched 225 a whopping 22 times.  That beat a lot of offensive linemen.  

Sewell and "any WR" doesn't open up the offense like Chase.  That is just plain stupid.  An outside WR needs to get safeties to drop because they fear his deep speed.  Slot WRs don't force them back and neither do G or RT.  Think of what Chad in his prime did for TJ.   The Bengals current "any" WRs couldn't get separation and open quickly enough against pitt and baltimore...two division foes that we will see twice.  They shut down Boyd and Higgins.  Especially Baltimore.  Because they have outstanding depth at CB and safety.  The Bengals need another weapon to attack those teams.  

It would be if they did nothing else.  But they drafted Price in the first round.  They drafted WIlliams in the first round.  They signed Reiff.  They signed XSF and Spain.  And in this draft, they would absolutely draft another offensive line player.  Aside from Chase, this draft could be labeled "trench warfare", as I could see the remainder of their picks being on two OTs, a G, and DT/DEs.  

Again, this is not being dumb.  It is providing an outstanding weapon for a team that started to hit its stride offensively when the guard positions were settled last year.  If you truly look inside the numbers (they have been posted on here), you would see that the offensive line played close to average down the stretch last year.  And that with a horrible defense that had them behind in many games.  I would not say drafting Sewell is dumb, but I say drafting Chase at #5 and the likes of Leatherwood in Rd 2 is better.  

I think you are just saying "offensive line" and just not saying "WR" because you simply haven't truly looked at the players at each position.  You heard someone say Sewell is the next Anthony Munoz and probably set in your mind that is the only way the Bengals can get back to the Super Bowl.  Chase is so much more than just a WR.  He has an attitude.  He is a team-first guy that Burrow raves about his dedication and his leadership.  If you look up PFF ratings for deep passes (those that traveled over 20 yards in the air), Chase scored a ridiculous 99.0.  He literally had one drop.  19 receptions with something like 7 TDs.  That rating is better than most WRs had on passes at the LOS.  I struggled to see where Ross went wrong, from a purely football standpoint, and I recalled a lot of deep balls being so poorly underthrown that he would have to stop, catch the ball, and then start again. I thought with a better QB, he would be unstoppable, but it appears that he struggles to catch the ball while in motion.  Some athletes heads are very steady at top speed, allowing their eyes to stay focused.  Ross must not have that ability, but Chase....he tracks balls with uncanny accuracy and his incredible athleticism, toughness, and drive make him a lethal combination.   If the Bengals draft him, and Higgins and Boyd stay healthy all season (along with Chase), I will tell you right now that the Bengals will make the playoffs and they will all have over 1000 yards receiving. 

Outside WR's

Chase, Waddle, Bateman, Marshall Jr, Toney, Dyami Brown, Josh Palmer, Armon-Ra St. Brown, Tylan Wallace, Nico Collins, Simi Fehoko, Cornell Powell, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Seth Williams, Sage Surratt

I can find WR talent in any round of this draft that comes in and does what this team needs. A 3rd option (we already have two good options in Higgins and Boyd we aren't sitting here with no WRs) that can line up outside and stretch the field, that was your reason for taking Chase over the greater need on the OL. Well see above... that entire list lines up outside and I stopped at round 3/4 guys. There is a longer list if you go deeper. Those guys can all stretch the field and make the safeties "respect" the deep ball. But you know what makes a defense really respect a team. When they aren't one dimensional. A good Oline allows better running lanes and a better running game. Of course better coaching helps as well.

I love the fact that you think you know more about football, specifically the Cincinnati Bengals, then guys who get paid to cover it who all say that Sewell is the pick. See Lapham, Munoz, McGee, the list goes on of really smart football guys who say you have to pick Sewell. But message board poster and Duke Tobin... they know more with their combined 0 NFL snaps played.

Darrisaw, Cosmi, Eichenberg, Leatherwood, Jenkins, Mayfield, Radunz are all likely top 50 picks.

Darrisaw will go round one. Eichenberg is not athletic and is playing at his ceiling, every draft expert on the planet says the same thing. Cosmi will be good and will be gone round one.

Radunz.... I like this kid but I really like when people who literally say in their post "Sewell didn't play high level competition" use Radunz as the replacement for him. How does that even compute in your brain... Sewell didn't play good people we no draft him... but then... Radunz is awesome in round two! Bro... his competition level is below the MAC....

Leatherwood has knocks on his game, not being aggressive, being lazy. Personally, I haven't liked him throughout the entire process. 

Jenkins plays in a spread offense. Who knows how he'll actually transition to the pro game.

Not moving Jonah??? Why... what has he shown you since he was drafted that makes you believe he can play LT every week?

There is nothing. The guy is less durable then Tyler Eifert who actually played a full season once. If Jonah plays a full season magically maybe you don't need a new LT but guess what, Reiff is on a one year deal so you certainly need a new RT and again Reiff has played G in the NFL.

But they drafted Price in the first round.  They drafted WIlliams in the first round.  They signed Reiff.  They signed XSF and Spain. 

Price is the perfect example of why you draft Sewell. We didn't take the top ranked guy on the OL in Frank Ragnow because everyone said "There is so much depth at the OL in this class and there isn't much difference between the top guys and the later guys." 

Does that statement sound familiar? How'd that play out for us taking Price the 2nd or 3rd option for a position of need versus staying put and taking the best option.

Answer... it screwed us. We have a total bust in Price while Ragnow the guy we passed on is still kicking ass in the league.

Williams can't stay healthy... he has been in the league 2 years and missed one full season and then went down multiple times in his second season. That is a bad sign for your OL guys. 

Reiff - 1 year

Spain - emergency back up after missing on Zeitler and Thuney and was in such high demand that he say around for weeks with no one talking to him.

XSF - Injured 3 straight years. Again, you can't count on him. As guys age, they don't tend to get more durable.

I'm saying Sewell because he is the clear cut best in this class. He is going to be a great pro for 10 plus years, you can look at the tape and see it. All the hype about Chase... you know this personally? You've met him, you've talked to him? Cause the same level of hype is being said by coaches about Sewell.

Downplaying Sewell cause you have a man crush on Chase is poor logic. 

The only worse logic in your entire post..

Saying this team will be in the playoffs if it drafts Chase. I read that and literally cried laughing. If you believe that, I shouldn't even have bothered trying to talk sense into you. I heard the same shit last season "We draft Burrow and playoffs here we come" Really... how'd that turn out?

Did Mike Brown sell the team?
Zac Taylor get fired?
Lou get fired?
The Oline get three upgrades?

Nope... didn't think so. This team isn't going to the playoffs in 21 if the draft Chase or Sewell.

So, the smart move, draft Sewell, fix the line get these guys playing together and then get George Pickens in 2022 when the team is actually closer and you have a new coach.

Or... do your great idea, and we can celebrate another sub .500 season but hey "atleast we haz Chase back with Burrow!!!!!" 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mike Greenberg on 1530 today. - CJD - 04-20-2021, 05:49 PM
RE: Mike Greenberg on 1530 today. - tms - 04-20-2021, 09:36 PM
RE: Mike Greenberg on 1530 today. - tms - 04-20-2021, 09:20 PM
RE: Mike Greenberg on 1530 today. - tms - 04-20-2021, 09:43 PM
RE: Mike Greenberg on 1530 today. - tms - 04-20-2021, 09:42 PM
RE: Mike Greenberg on 1530 today. - tms - 04-20-2021, 09:52 PM
RE: Mike Greenberg on 1530 today. - Burma - 04-20-2021, 11:28 PM
RE: Mike Greenberg on 1530 today. - Murdock2420 - 04-22-2021, 01:04 PM