Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious Question about OL talent in round 2.
(04-24-2021, 03:19 AM)Whatever Wrote: Different situations completely.  KC was in the SB last year and won it the year before.  Orlando Brown is still very young and is already a 2x Pro Bowler.  With any draft pick, there is an element of risk, no matter how confident you are in your evaluation.  Brown is a sure thing, or as close as you can get to it.  That close to a championship and with that few holes, it makes sense.  For a team like the Bengals that needs to increase it's talent base in a number of different position groups, it doesn't make sense.  To that point, KC lost a Pro Bowl LT in Eric Fisher that they are trying to replace with a player of equal ability.  It's simply not realistic to think any rookie T, even the top guys like Sewell and Slater, will step in and play at Fisher's level as a rookie.   It should also be noted that last year Deandre Hopkins and Stefon Diggs were traded before what was considered a stacked WR draft.  It certainly didn't mean there were no good WR's left after round 1.

KC also needed a starting LT.  The Bengals don't.  The Bengals need a starting RG and/or LG.  That's going to mean the Bengals will have a lot more viable options than the Chiefs will.  Also keep in mind that Baltimore is confident enough in this draft class to find Brown's replacement, similar to the Vikings finding Diggs' replacement in Jefferson last year.  

I'm so glad we didn't need a starting LT. They do need a starting RT within the next 2 years, and they need depth at both OTs. But they don't need a starter this year. We have Williams and Rief. I think they know if they DO draft an OT in the second or later, he'll need development. Rief gives them the luxury of 1-2 years to develop the next OT. They need interior guys immediately. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Serious Question about OL talent in round 2. - BURROWorBUST - 04-24-2021, 11:52 PM