Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious Question about OL talent in round 2.
(04-24-2021, 08:20 AM)CoachGeorge Wrote: What has KC done really?.  They’ve replaced 2 pro bowl players with 2 other pro bowl players.  One is a 1 year rental and the other was a significant overpay.  The lost a center and replaced him in what could only be described as a slight upgrade.  And they got an aged injury prone guard who signed for a 1.1 mil base salary high on incentives which sounds like a move that Bengals fans would frown on if Tobin did that.

Brown is a terrific run-blocking LT who will be asked to drop into pass protection at a far higher rate and deeper sets than he ever has.  Tunney, the 10th best guard via PFF will be asked to excel outside of New England on a new team with high expectations. That’s a lot of moving pieces for a position group that heavily relies on continuity and chemistry.  

Will it work out?  Maybe or maybe not.  I am pretty sure they would have much preferred to not have to make all these moves in the middle of PM unbelievable run.

First post nailed it.  Rep.

I was going to add that even if the Chiefs were picking #1 overall, it is still not a guaranteed talent whereas the FA have proven it in this league.
As far as why those "plug and play" guys will be there around 38 (and I wouldn't call them plug and play...they will have to prove in camp and an abbreviated preseason they can handle it) is more a reflection of the talent at QB, WR, TE, CB, and to a much lesser extent, DT/DE. 

Think of it this way:  If Eichenberg is rated a 80 as a prospect, he might be the 40th ranked player overall, as there could be 39 players ranked higher than 80.  Positional value always factors in.  No one is spending a pick at 38 on a kicker just because he is an 80 prospect, unless you are the Jets of a few years ago. 

Those tackles that the Bengals will be likely sorting through have "holes" in their game.  So does Sewell.  The question becomes can the team overcome/coach that hole out of the player and do they fit what they are hoping for at that position.  Even though more and more DEs line up over the RT, the LT position still commands a premium over the RT position.  If not completely in reality, at least largely in perception.  Look at Willie Anderson.  I think he is a no doubt HOF if he played at LT all those years with his stats.  Regardless, there are guys more suited to be RTs because they may be a bit better at push than pull...meaning the RT usually is a road grader and might struggle with speed outside if put at LT.  That isn't to say that he can't handle speed at all, but he might be more geared as a RT due to his other STRENGTH, which is run blocking.  Spencer Brown (who I have a serious man crush on) played RT in college and although I think he has the movement and length to be a LT, I would rather keep him at RT and develop him behind Reiff.  I would absolutely take him in the 3rd of they went Guard in the 2nd, but I think it is more realistic they get an OT like Leatherwood or Eichenberg in Rd 2 and the guard in Rd 3.  

All that being said, Miami has a lefty QB, so RT is going to be their premium position.  

One last comment, only because you brought up Orlando Brown.  I pissed and moaned about this for years now.  I wanted him SO BADLY despite his horrible combine, which he admitted he didn't prepare for at all.  Amazing value where we could have had him, but we drafted an athletic LB from Texas that never did a damn thing.  Puke.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Serious Question about OL talent in round 2. - SHRacerX - 04-25-2021, 12:00 PM