Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone name a better receiving core?
(04-26-2021, 12:54 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm a Bengal homer especially when it comes to the players rather than the coaches. Boyd and Higgins are clearly not the best WR duo in the NFL. But with Chase added I think that would have to be the best three. I know they still need to take the field but I think Chase has a high floor. I think Chase missing a year will hurt him year 1 the Burrow chemistry will help negate that issue.

But my other question and maybe year 1 it wouldn't be an issue. But is there enough room in the fragile ecosystem of a nfl locker room for 3 WR of that caliber. All these other teams with comparable WR groups seem to have vlear seating as far as where they all fit in the offense. Two's company but three's a crowd.

I think the locker room goes as Joey B allows it to. That's pretty much how that is at this point. I also think they have really great guys in there. Not a lot of "Me first" people in that locker room at all. Besides that, Higgins played on a super talented Clemson team and Chase, for example, was part of an ultra talented group as well. Boyd is a big time team guy.

Something people forget... and by doing so I can tell in the comments who actually knows anything about the Bengals on here and who's a not really deep into it... the Bengals run "11" personnel more than any other team in the NFL. 11 personnel = 3 WR, 1 RB, & 1 TE. They do not care about a "duo". They need a trio because of the offense they run. This is why not having an explosive playmaker or a guy who can take the top off of the defense KILLED them the past 2 years and helped disable toe run game as well. AJ Green was slow and busted, Ross.... just a BUST. Higgins & Boyd are 2/3 of a 3 part solution. It's unreasonable to think those 2 can do the job of 3 or just throwing anyone out there because they are a 3rd option. The Bengals offense isn't setup to run that way at all. It isn't a #1, 2, 3 WR offense. It is an offense that takes what the defense gives away. They will all 3 take turns getting focused by the defense and being the focus of the offense on a play by play basis.

They also run a ton of empty backfield stuff. Watching film explanations, listening to podcasts of the guys who cover the team, watching the games, speaking to them myself when I can, etc. the Bengals also run a lot of "EMPTY". That's NO RB, hence the "Empty" backfield (or the RB is motioned into a slot route presnap), along with 4 WR (with a TE) & 5 WR (NO TE) sets. This is to force the defense to declare what coverages they are in so they can disguise only very little presnap. Burrow then just changes the plays to whatever is needed, reroutes everyone as needed, and they all do their jobs..... This is why getting a WR who can process the game the same way and at the same speed Joe does is CRITICAL. Higgins is smart and came on strong. Boyd is excellent. They need the 3rd guy.

I see absolutely NO issues with the Bengals being torn apart by "Me" guys. The one they had, Dunlap, was jettisoned out of there when he became an issue. Almost immediately.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can someone name a better receiving core? - PDub80 - 04-26-2021, 03:19 PM