Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS takes up major 2A case
(04-26-2021, 12:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think it's very likely the New York law gets struck down because their language is overly broad and subjective. I think they limit their ruling to such rather than tackling a previously held position that states do have the right to regulate carry.

It really depends who rights the majority decision.  The scope of the language used can have a major impact, especially if it references Heller and expands on the meaning of that decision.

I do find it interesting that we can all agree that the Ney York law is blatantly unconstitutional, as was the NYC law that they defended tooth and nail until the SCOTUS granted it cert.  It's disturbing that people who swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution would pass laws that blatantly violate it.

(04-26-2021, 01:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It will be interesting to see what happens. Most of the limiting language in Heller was added to gain Kennedy's vote, so with the conservative shift on the court it is highly likely to see some of those limitations pushed aside. That being said, the language of the cert, itself, points to the court being of a limited mind on this:

I fully expect the NY law to be overturned, but I have to wonder what the broader impacts of the ruling will be.

That is the exact fear that anti-2A people have and the hope that the pro 2A people have.  The language that had to be used to secure the Kennedy vote will no longer be needed.  I agree with you both, this will be interesting.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: SCOTUS takes up major 2A case - Au165 - 04-26-2021, 12:44 PM
RE: SCOTUS takes up major 2A case - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-26-2021, 03:40 PM
RE: SCOTUS takes up major 2A case - Au165 - 04-26-2021, 03:44 PM
RE: SCOTUS takes up major 2A case - Au165 - 04-26-2021, 03:52 PM
RE: SCOTUS takes up major 2A case - yang - 05-03-2021, 01:08 PM