Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Wilcots, Holt and Martin all Team Sewell
(04-27-2021, 10:16 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: You literally said drafting Burrow would make the line better and the WRs better. He won 2 games and the line was a wreck. Boyd was just as good with Dalton as he was with Burrow. Higgins broke out, but who elevated who in this situation?

You went on that he was going to be the next Andrew Luck (which he might but only in terms of his career being cut short due to injury) and that no other QB in the class was close to him... Herbert is absolutely on his level, might even be better, time will tell but we certainly could have traded back and gotten the extra pick last year and the extra pick this year to let the Dolphins move up and would have been just fine.

Recreating the LSU offense? This isn't fantasy land, this is the NFL. Not going to get Joe Brady or Justin Jefferson or Clyde Edwards-Helaire all of which were just as big a part of that offense as anyone, and honestly I think Joe Brady was the biggest part of it. 

If the issue is red zone offense, then you want someone other then a 6 foot WR... get a TE like Pitts, or even the Penn State kid in round two. 

The argument for Chase was he was going to take the top off the defense, but you literally just said the real issue was the not scoring in the red zone. So again... which is it?
Carl Pickens
What is really sounds like to me is all the pro Chase crowd think that he comes in and we have Moss and on boy, here we go LSU all over... and that isn't real life. A suspect line in college no problem (as you have said over and over the LSU line wasn't very good) but a suspect line in the NFL? That is a huge problem. 

Chase will be a good WR, but he isn't the correct pick for this team. I said this last year, you argued, and my argument ended being 100% correct. I'm not looking at 2021, I'm looking at the long term. Sewell and Chase will both be good pros and I think both will be in the upper tier of their position group. However, I look at two other factors. First, I actually believe Tee Higgins can be the real #1 WR on this team and that we need a Chris Henry type, a guy who can go deep, doesn't need to be the #1 just needs to get the defense to respect him deep and that is a 3rd or 4th round guy easy. Secondly, if Sewell and Chase both hit their ceiling, Chase will give you 6 or 7 great years, while Sewell can give you 10 plus. Not an opinion just a fact based on life of WRs at an elite level. Chad gave us 7 great years, Green 6.5, Carl Pickens four, WRs historically don't stay great for long. There is exceptions, but I'm talking the norm. Meanwhile, look at the top shelf OL guys, you get 10 years or in Whit's case 14 years. 

So why do you want to take 6 or 7 great years in one and pass on 10 plus great years? Why are we selling Higgins short when he showed more as a rookie then Chad Johnson's rookie year (not saying he will be Chad, but he shows so much promise and we are ready to replace him)? And before you say Higgins won't be replaced by Chase.. Chase will help... there is only so many targets in a game. CJ is going to be back, Boyd, and Higgins, the coaches are committed to Sample, we need a 3rd option for WR, not a 1st option. You don't draft your 3rd target in round one.

Christ, that is a pretty long winded post, and I’m not going to respond to each point individually (it’s all been covered ad nauseam), but as far you wanting to trade back for Herbert last year? That’s not how I remember it. I remember you not wanting to take a QB at all until we built up the OL. Which I disagreed with then, and still do. Herbert balled out and won OROY despite having a shit OL. Theirs was equally as bad as ours. Just look at his numbers under pressure. He deserves a lot of the credit himself, but his WR’s and TE’s also did a good job of making plays for him.

And recreating the LSU offense doesn’t have to be “fantasy land.” We already have the QB, we have the stud WR in the slot (Boyd = Jefferson), and we have a good WR with good size (Tee = Marshall). We have a very good RB (Mixon = CEH). We even picked up Thad Moss. We just need an adequate OL (not a single 1st or 2nd rounder on that LSU line). Replacing Hart and Jordan is a great start on that. Now we just need the down the field big play guy in Chase. If we get even average OL play, and add Chase, then it’s put up or shut up time for ZT. He’s supposedly this young “offensive minded” coach, well if we give him all that this team should score a lot of points, and win a lot of games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wilcots, Holt and Martin all Team Sewell - Nicomo Cosca - 04-27-2021, 10:52 PM