Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden/Harris Just Lost Re-election
(04-29-2021, 08:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Kind of OT but I have a question that everyone seems to be ignoring.

Why are black people so much more attracted to menthol cigarettes than white people? I don't think the disparity was created by marketing and advertising. I just think the marketing and advertising to target minorities is because they were already favored menthol brands.

It really does all boil down to the marketing, to be honest. Menthol cigarettes were created in the 1920s, and they really took off with the rise of Kool. Kool's name and advertising was based off of not only the cooling sensation of menthol, but also the association with the term cool that was becoming something different due to the jazz scene. The jazz scene was predominantly black, and so the marketing connection between Kool cigarettes and being cool was going to hit that community, more. Since then, all of the big menthol brands have targeted their marketing towards the black community.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biden/Harris Just Lost Re-election - Belsnickel - 04-29-2021, 08:42 AM