Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen girl in Columbus killed by police
(04-30-2021, 09:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: That is not a false equivalency at all. 

Actually, it is. Owning a car isn't a civil liberty. Cars are larger and harder to hide than a firearm. Cars have had registration requirements almost from the beginning while firearms have not had that requirement. I'll just stop there, but I could go on.

(04-30-2021, 09:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Please explain how easy it would be to catch someone with a stolen car if there were no laws regarding vehicle registration.

I didn't say I would. Just pointing out how your argument is fallacious.

(04-30-2021, 09:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Please explain to me how easy it is for an officer to determine if a weapon they find on a person is stolen?

Not saying it is, just pointing out your fallacious argument.

(04-30-2021, 09:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: A very large percentage of arrests for possession of contraband (drugs, stolen property, etc) occur during investigations of unrelated charges (traffic stops, domestic disputes, etc) when people or their property are searched either for safety reasons or incident to arrest.  There would be a huge increase in the number of arrests for illegal weapon possession if we had registration requirements t prove who owned what guns. 

Now, current laws would mean that during the traffic stop if they found a firearm they could check the criminal record of the possessor, yes? So by doing that they could capture the larger concern of a criminal in possession of a firearm. How do they check on other stolen property? Is there a registration for electronics? Cash? Jewelry? How do police know this other stolen property is stolen? If they are capable of it for other property without registration then could they not be capable of it with firearms?

(04-30-2021, 09:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And you can't possibly be so naive as to believe that all the people who now make a business of selling guns with no background check would be willing to do it if they knew the guns could be traced back to them.  

You can't be so naïve as to believe that those firearms would be able to be traced back to them. They wouldn't have been registered in the first place, as I already pointed out.

(04-30-2021, 09:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Or that people would be willing to buy a gun from a private seller if they knew if the gun was stolen they could be arrested for possessing it.  Right now all you have to say is "Hey, I had no idea it was a stolen gun when I bought it."

The type of people these laws are supposedly aimed at preventing from owning a firearm would not care.

(04-30-2021, 09:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You are better than this Bels.  It is simple common sense that registration laws would have a huge impact on the ease with which criminals can buy and posses stolen weapons.  I guess I was wrong about the brainwashing of gun owners only coming from the right.

My understanding of this topic is far from brainwashing. It comes from the data. It comes from the research. It comes from actually understanding public policy and the process. What you're saying is anything but common sense, it flies in the face of it. It also isn't supported by evidence, and until it is, it has no place in law.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teen girl in Columbus killed by police - Belsnickel - 04-30-2021, 10:14 AM