Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen girl in Columbus killed by police
(04-30-2021, 03:23 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's one of the huge logical fallacies of the gun control movement.  They'll frequently justify infringing on a civil liberty stating, "if it saves one life".  Of course banning alcohol would save at least one life.  Putting a 70 mph governor on all vehicles would save at least one life.  Implanting a GPS tracking system in everyone would save at least one life.  Making a mandatory DNA database for all US residents would save a metric shit ton of lives.  For some reason they aren't down with the infringement of liberty inherent in any of those other proposals, but don't care at all about gun rights.

A large portion of the anti-gun argument is an appeal to emotion anyways.  After the Parkland shooting (which could have been avoided on numerous occasions if the school and local law enforcement had actually done their jobs) they had that awful CNN townhall.  Now, don't get me wrong, those kids had been through an awful tragedy so they certainly deserve some leeway.  But that entire event was an appeal to emotion and an opportunity to hurl accusations of enabling murder at Marco Rubio and Dana Loesch.  But the one part that really struck me was a girl saying she needed to feel safe.  I immediately thought about the almost certain fact that she arrived at the event in an automobile.  Seeing as how she is light years more likely to die in a car accident then a shooting of any kind the perception of safety is just that.  It certainly doesn't justify curtailing the civil liberties of over a hundred million citizens.

I want to add to this, because I like to emphasize this. It especially doesn't justify curtailing those liberties when there is not sufficient evidence to suggest it would have a significant impact on public safety. That is the crux of the appeal to emotion. There is no evidence to suggest most of the gun control measures suggested would have any impact on gun violence, and that evidence is what is needed to move past the emotional appeal.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teen girl in Columbus killed by police - Belsnickel - 04-30-2021, 03:28 PM