Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Hey, the Bengals drafted a Center!
A couple things.  There is a tendency to group all the past years of failure regarding the offense line to the organization and not to individual personnel.  

I know Paul Alexander is held in high regard by some but I think his judge of talent was not the best with the exception of Big Willie and some others.  Turner had his own coaching issues.  I believe each use their own schemes which I believe were power gap.  I would like to give the new offense line coach some time to implement his own scheme approach.

When selecting player personnel they may be gifted but limited by experience in a certain scheme.  This is why when you are reading draft profile they actually now in some areas list the scheme experience with that particular player.  If that player has experienced in several different schemes they will list a term as versatile or something similar.

I think another issue that's not talked about is because of the pandemic there was limitations in evaluation.  When players opt out there's not a lot of information to fill in the gaps.  You have to rely on others viewpoints and experience with that player and that adds some risk.  

A player's health issue is usually held confidential and due to laws one cannot investigate health records without player authorization and consent.  When Justin Fields seizure came out during the draft process and evaluation it caught many by surprise.  I'm not sure what happened but I believe fields agent felt it was necessary to share that information before the process rather than afterwards because it would be viewed as slight of hand and dishonest in some ways.  

Jenkins was off the Cincinnati Bengals board from when I'm hearing from those in the know.  The Bengals were not going to draft him no matter what is what I'm hearing. We fans have some of the information but not as much information as coaches and draft personnel.  

Big Willie has worked with Carman and personally vouched for him.  Carman also worked in Dallas Texas with a sports performance training and they spoke highly of him and they worked with many of the draftees this year.  They praised him as one of the best they worked with this year.

Carman played with a herniated disc most of last year at least a handful of games and that's why his performance dropped some.  They recommended surgery then but he wanted to be out there with his teammates even though there was the risk of lowering his draft capital and he played in severe pain just to help his team win.

Some say that he is one of the best if not the best guard in this draft class who can play spot duty at right tackle. I wouldn't know as a fan I thought others might be rated higher at guard.

The Bengals need the offense line to be at least average.  It would nice to be good if not great in that position group but I don't think that's going to happen for at least a couple years because eventually they're going to have to pay that quarterback and some skilled positions and they're just not going to be able to afford it.  Give Joe burrow an average offensive line and he's going to tear up other teams.

[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hey, the Bengals drafted a Center! - psychdoctor - 05-02-2021, 01:15 PM