Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen girl in Columbus killed by police
(05-03-2021, 02:25 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: In any case, it was not my assumption that if five kilos of heroin were found in a house full of people, it meant that "everyone in the home" would be charged.  

I already answered this.  Try addressing points already made instead of asking them like they're brand new assertions.

Rather, my assumption was that someone would be for sure. The police would not simply confiscate the heroin but arrest no one. When all was sorted out out, SOMEONE would eventually be charged for having it. 

I already addressed this as well.  Please refer to previous posts.

??? I was restating the issue here, not "asking" anything. People do that to steady discourse, to make sure people are not flying off topic or addressing the wrong points.

And I was restating Fred's point because you have not effectively addressed it. You claimed there was no way all people in your example would be charged with heroin. What you needed to show to make your analogy and refute Fred was that NONE would. You didn't do that. 

So you added at best some ancillary information, that warrants may contain further specifications etc. But none of that closes out the possibility Fred raises--that registration makes it easier for police to confiscate stray guns, and in situations he specified, to prevent others in a car or residence from claiming one to save a felon.

(05-03-2021, 02:25 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: There are so many variables that your attempt at a clever analysis has failed to cover.  What evidence did you use to obtain the warrant?  Why are you investigating this particular residence in the first place?  Both you and Fred seem to treat these instances as occurring in a vacuum, with no prior evidence prompting them. 

Fred speaks of instances in which police could not determine ownership of guns, even when suspected stolen, and had to relinquish them to a felon's friends.  Apparently that can happen whatever evidence is used to obtain a warrant and whatever reason a vehicle or car is investigated in the first place.  That's' why we aren't concerned about "prior evidence prompting them." That doesn't prevent the problem so it does not speak to the issue.

(05-03-2021, 02:25 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You admit to little experience, but appear to argue from a position of knowledge.  Again, your position appears to spring from a position of ignorance as to how and why warrants are issued in the first place.  In the event of a spontaneous search brought on by reasonable suspicion or a probation/parole search, there are already numerous other factors at play to determine this.  You appear to want a hard and fast answer to a question with an obscenely large number of variables.

Again ???   No, I don't "appear to argue from a position of knowledge."  

I grasped Fred's point about "constructive possession." I saw how registering guns would resolve a problem related to determination of ownership when a gun is found "loose" in a car or residence with a felon and other people.  I saw that your objections don't refute his point. 

If it actually happens, as Fred says, that police in his state do have a harder time assigning ownership when guns are not registered, and confiscating them as well, then it is harder with all your "numerous other factors." And when gun registration is required, then it would be EASIER, even with all your "numerous other factors."  That's why those factors are not really a variable here. Or at least you have not demonstrated how they are or could be. You've just asserted they are there.

So for the moment, it looks like there is a hard and fast answer to the question of whether gun registration helps police get guns off the street.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teen girl in Columbus killed by police - Dill - 05-05-2021, 03:19 AM