Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2021 Offseason - Overall Thoughts
(05-05-2021, 02:41 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I would say we had a ton of holes and we plugged some but not others. Some we fixed completely with high level talent (WR1: Chase).  Some we plugged with mid level draft picks (OL/DL/PK: Carman; Ossai, Shelvin, Sample; McPherson). Some we filled with high priced FAs we have not seen play much/any (Waynes, Hendrickson, even Reader). Some with mid-tier FAs (Reiff, Hilton, Awuzie, Ogunjobi). And some lower tier/developmental guys (Smith, Evans, Hill, UDFAs) or bargain FAs (Spain, Apple, Moss, etc).

Some will work out, some won't.

As it stands, my concern areas are:

1) OL depth. We have 5 guys that I think have proven the can play adequate NFL snaps: Williams, Reiff, Hopkins, Spain, & XSF. Hopkins is coming off an ACL tear. Williams and XSF have been injury prone.

If you want to count Carman as #6 (I won't yet), then we have 3 passable OGs. But still no real proven depth at OT. Johnson, Adeniji, and Smith? Yikes, that is scary. I don't mind having 1 developmental guy on the depth chart, but zero proven guys sucks. Price has trouble snapping the ball. Hill is a 6th round pick. And Jordan is the #4 guard, still.

I'd bring in, at min, a vet OT. So out depth would look like:
OT: Williams, Reiff; vet #3.
OG: XSF/Spain, Carman.
C: Hopkins; Price
------------
Let Johnson, Adeniji, and Smith compete for the last OT spot. Let Jordan and Hill compete for the last OG spot.Losers to the PS.
--------------

2. WR depth.

Chase, Higgins, & Boyd look great. Thomas & Tate as WR4 & WR5 is bad. And we do not have a backup slot/PR type to replace Erickson (Lees?).

Those are the biggest two. Also:

3) LB.

We were terrible last year. We let one vet go (Bynes). Looks like we are rolling with L. Wilson, Pratt, Bailey, ADG, & Evans. Other than flashes from Wilson, I don't see much here. I get a 2020 OL "we like our group" vibe here.

4) TE.

CJ coming of an Achilles scares me. Moss and the UDFA Wells don't move the needle much. But at least we have bodies. Sample & Schreck.
--------------

Sure are acting like Ossai and Carman are just shit aren't you? I also think Reiff and Hilton are top tier at their positions, Reiff
gave up less sacks then Thuney and Orlando Brown last season and had less penalties. Hilton might be the best blitzing Slot 
Corner in the NFL right now.

WR depth is more of a concern to me the more I look at it after seeing our luck with 1st rounders over the years.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2021 Offseason - Overall Thoughts - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 05-05-2021, 03:05 PM