Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continued Trump Administration Fallout
(05-05-2021, 02:08 PM)Dill Wrote: Well, they did lose a bit more than the norm--40 seats.

That is true, I'm not so sure though whether attributing this excessive losses to Trump's lawlessness isn't a stretch. Some might just have been turned off by his narcissism, his vile rhetorics or his asinine tweets, realizing he does not grow with the office. Many (that would be my guess) might have been turned off by his broken health care promises, aka full coverage for everyone for a fraction of the cost and it's gonna be so easy. This might have fallen on the party much, especially after this great healthcare plan resulted in a failed repeal without replace vote.
In some instances, the losses might even be a result of candidates not going full Trump. I remember Trump's own analysis, Mia Love gave me no love and whatnot. Maybe he was right. Many 'RINOs' around back then; the Congress after the midterm mostly eliminated the moderate republicans.
Or it was Trump asking Comey to let Flynn go or him firing Comey and citing Trump and Russia as the main reason or some other borderline lawless move. Who knows. I doubt it.

(05-05-2021, 02:08 PM)Dill Wrote: I still think there is more than a "slice"--the proportion may even be near 50% who still prioritize rule of law--including never trumpers and Cheney and Romney. 

Yah, the never Trumpers. I guess I've heard dozens of predictions on how the end for Trump is now coming, after this and that instance, Corker turns away, Steve Schmidt talks bad about Trump, someone else now does too, justice is closing in on his behind, everything's crumbling, the rats are fleeing, the ship is sinking, all will collapse now. It never did.

Trump started with 45% approval, and had 45% approval on 2020's election day. Despite Russia and Ukraine and nepotism and corrupt admin members and all the other lawless stuff. Zero net movement registered.

(05-05-2021, 02:08 PM)Dill Wrote: And she lied and obfuscated about her email service.

Which is true, she indeed did. And while I agree that it did not matter given who the alternative was, I never thought this was just a non-issue, like many liberals seemed to think. Comey did not say "extremely careless" just for fun and games, after all. But I don't want to open that box too widely.

(05-05-2021, 02:08 PM)Dill Wrote: Then Trump was elected and suddenly corruption and deficits and lying didn't matter. It was never really about that.

Nah, it always is about that bipolar culture war. Sure.
Turns out, that war goes one even if one side leaves the realm of democratic principle, the war is stronger than that. Yeah, one can wonder if a democracy can survive in that environment long term. I keep my guess to myself, I don't want to be too negative.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Continued Trump Administration Fallout - hollodero - 05-05-2021, 03:29 PM