Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen girl in Columbus killed by police
(05-05-2021, 07:33 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Sure.  it's a yes that it would help law enforcement if no one was allowed outside without a permit too.  Your position is inane.

Dear lord, I never figured you for such an immense hypocrite.  You consistently attacked me for using anecdotal evidence, demanding outside, and often empirical, sources.  You literally couldn't be more inconsistent if you tried.

Sure, if you treat that as truth for all such incidents.  No one really argued his claim, but we continue to demand actual proof that his claims will make a difference worth the infringement.  You don't demand it because you like Fred and your standards are completely different when the person involved is someone you like.

Or supported with evidence.

Again, there's much more to such scenarios then your childishly simplistic construction.

I honestly don't think I could make a better post explaining why you're a massive hypocrite that isn't worth discussing anything with than the one you just produced yourself.  Double standards are no standards and you have objectively revealed yourself as that person.  Thanks for doing my work for me.  I honestly appreciate your proving what I've claimed about you for years.  Sincerely, thank you.   Smirk

Because anecdotes and anecdotal evidence are no substitute for data, or actual case studies, doesn't mean they can never have a constructive role in arguments, stating hypothesis, providing witness testimony, introducing issues, articulating/illustrating principles (e.g., "constructive possession" in this case) and the like. Most introductory logic/rhetoric textbooks define a role for anecdotes and anecdotal evidence, and teach students the appropriate context for each.  That means one could use an anecdotal argument or evidence in one context, and call out its misuse in another, without being "hypocritical" or guilty of a "double standard."  But one has to know what constitutes misuse in the first place. 

E.g., One typically tests or refutes anecdotal data, like your claim stolen guns are always reported, with statistical data. The quickest way to refute anecdotal evidence like Fred's claim that officers in his state complain because lack of registration has allowed felons to keep stolen guns, is by showing it to be logically inconsistent in its own terms. 

I asked you for that kind of refutation when I wrote "Why couldn't a felon's non-felon friend claim a loose gun to protect the felon, if the gun is not registered and there is no law requiring it be? Why couldn't cops confiscate the unregistered gun, taking it off the street, if registration is a requirement?" 

A counter anecdote, based on your experience would be admissible here too. But you don't appear to have one which could refute Fred's in principle. (Just telling a story about one time a felon's friend couldn't claim an unregistered gun because of one mitigating factor would not do the trick.) 

Unable to establish that a felon's friend could not claim an unregistered gun etc. you assert there is "more to" such situations. And unable to specify any "more to" which would negate Fred's example, you launch into a flailing personal attack, accusing me (ironically) of "childishly simple construction" and hypocrisy and double standards now supposedly "revealed."  

And yet, this panic ad hominem follows your concession that registration can indeed help police get guns off the street. You yourself implicitly accept Fred's anecdote in that concession.  That's what has been "revealed" here, underneath the desperate name calling.

In the future, I'll probably continue to "attack" you for use anecdotal evidence in place of data. But on another thread. It appears you have run out of arguments here.                                                                                                                             keeper
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teen girl in Columbus killed by police - Dill - 05-06-2021, 02:06 AM