Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continued Trump Administration Fallout
(05-06-2021, 12:00 AM)Dill Wrote: Here's the thing, Hollo. McCarthy and others also condemned Trump, but when they saw the wind was still blowing his direction, they hopped back on the Trump train. Despite the same, repeated, chances to get back on the train, Cheney has not.

I did acknowledge that. It is a fair point, but I'd also mention that being better than some of the most spineless, dishonorable and sycophantic creatures I ever had the distinct displeasure to witness is a really low bar.

(05-06-2021, 12:00 AM)Dill Wrote: And Cheney's separation from Trump began much earlier than the insurrection, as a year earlier she condemned the Syrian pull out for the Kurdish lives it cost.

Yeah, sure. Color me underwhelmed.

(05-06-2021, 12:00 AM)Dill Wrote: In any case, now that she has stuck to her course, she is forcing the party to make a very public choice between Trump, the Big Lie, and cult of personality on the one hand, and the rule of law on the other.  That is what interests me about her Op Ed and the GOP internal contract. It is the issue and its consequences, not whether Cheney is a good person deep down inside. 

I get that. As for that though, I fail to grasp why that matters. They (exceptions barred) made that choice already multiple times, also in public, they do not shy away from making it again and I don't think it effectively means anything. I'd wager not a single mind will change through that.

I understand you didn't exactly attribute heroism to her, but I still feel it's worth mentioning that as of now, she isn't a hero and there's a tendency to idolize anyone who speaks out against Trump. I remember past instances there. Mr. Kelly was perceived an awful person as long as he was Trump's chief of staff; as soon as he got ousted and said negative things about his former boss, he suddenly was the honorable general that did as best as he could under the circumstances. John Bolton was a warmongering FOX person and the super hack with the super PAC, then he was in Trump's admin, but as soon as he was out and wrote his book, suddenly what he had to say was all valuable and interesting and he was the upright, principled guy that might undo Trump. Additional examples exist.

And I feel something similar will happen with Cheney. She stays course, will get lauded and disappear after a while, or she betrays your hopes and comes back on the Trump train. And either way, it will end up meaning nothing. Which, imho, is what this public choice or public conflict you mentioned will amount to. To meaning nothing, only to the Trump side winning this conflict once again.
But hey I hope you're right and I'm not, for sure.

(05-06-2021, 12:00 AM)Dill Wrote: She apparently supported the birther conspiracy for a time.

From my impression (I sure was looking for dirt to make my point) she rather failed to speak out against it as actively endorsing it, but that is kind of the point. I don't trust the transformative powers of a person that stood in silence through so many instances before.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Continued Trump Administration Fallout - hollodero - 05-06-2021, 11:15 AM