Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The genius of Charles Portis
(05-07-2021, 12:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Authors are a matter of taste, and with some great authors like Cormac McCarthy I find some of his books brilliant and others almost unreadable.  Same with anthony Burgess.  but here are a few of my favorites.

Ken Kesey.... I think "Sometimes a Great Notion" is better than "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest"  both are great.  I consider SAGN my favorite novel by an American author.

Vladimir Nobokov.... "Pale Fire" is probably my all time favorite novel by anyone.  "Lolita" is also brilliant.

Michael Chabon...... Best by him are "The Yiddish's Policeman's Union", "Wonder Boys", "Gentleman of the Road".  I have read all of this novels.  if you read anything by him and have questions about his other works just PM me.

Salman Rushdie...... Did not really care for "Santanic Verses", not for religious reasons, just too much mysticism and magic in it.  All of Rushdie's books have some paranormal elements but I much prefer "The Ground Beneath her Feet", "Shalimar the Clown", and "The Moor's Last Cry".  I have read pretty much everything he has ever written just like Chabon.  His books are dense with history but I find most of them fascinating.  He can't write about a main character without giving the back story two generations back.

Iris Murdoch....  Some of her works contain too much philosophical musing by her characters, and some of them are nothing much more than detailed character studies.  But "The Sea; The Sea" and "The Black Prince" are funny and very well written.

Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed reply.   I might start w/ SAGN by Kesey.  I have only read The Electric Kool-aide Acid Test , which was a while back (much simpler times lol).   I actually haven't read any of the books on your list.   

And if I may, one more question:  Which of Portis' work would you recommend (aside from True Grit)?     Thanks again man! 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The genius of Charles Portis - fredtoast - 04-22-2021, 11:30 PM
RE: The genius of Charles Portis - Sled21 - 05-04-2021, 12:06 PM
RE: The genius of Charles Portis - Dr.Z - 05-06-2021, 04:21 PM
RE: The genius of Charles Portis - Dr.Z - 05-07-2021, 01:02 PM