Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continued Trump Administration Fallout
(05-07-2021, 12:14 PM)hollodero Wrote: Eh, I find that a bit simplistic. Dems cared about the border crisis especially because the Trump era's approach were things like a family separation policy used as a deterrent. Many also scolded Biden for initially not increasing the number of refugees. They did not stop caring about these issues.

Allow me to rephrase and say it is much less of a public issue now.  I don't think that's even debatable.  I will absolutely concur that there are people whose attitude on the situation has been consistent.  They are certainly a minority.

Quote:And since the debate goes nowhere anyway: I can understand and do find it extremely odd and unfair that a state like Wyoming, with less inhabitants than Hamilton County, gets two senators, or the Dakotas getting four, on the simple grounds that this is grossly overrepresenting certain american populations living there. That is unfair on its very face and yeah if that's touching the foundation then so be it.

And sure it leads to a majority of senators representing a minority of Americans. Now I get federalism and states rights and everything, but I also see the invaluable uniqueness of Wyoming and some of those other rectangular, apparently randomly drawn states as somewhat of a non-factor. I might even say that keeping all these rural, little populated states is a "republican power grab", just as giving statehood to PR is seen as a democratic power grab. No statehood for PR, but keeping all these states heavily favors republicans, after all.

Yes, The US is unique or unusual in a lot of ways compared to other democracies, this certainly being one of them.  It comes from being founded by men who both saw the value of a strong central government and also intensely distrusted it at the same time.  In fact, and not to diverge the topic, but the Second Amendment is another example of exactly that.  So, I can understand from an outside perspective how the system does not appear egalitarian, because it was deliberately made not to be in some ways.

What I don't like, and I cannot countenance, is people within the US; politicians, pundits or whatever, who only decry the system when it doesn't work to their advantage.  Or want to change the foundation of the system to solely benefit themselves. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Continued Trump Administration Fallout - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-07-2021, 02:53 PM