Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughtson Biden's speech/plan?
(05-11-2021, 07:08 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: When it comes to surveying the economy, everyone has a slant towards their party. I remember when Trump first became president and he instituted his tax breaks and then, suddenly, the Republicans couldn't stop talking about how much unemployment was trending down and how much the stock market was trending up....despite the fact that those trends were already well entrenched under Obama so them continuing is not really all that noteworthy. What would have been noteworthy is if the trends sloped upward or downward, neither of which really happened.

But you see it from the Democrats too. Not many Democrats were willing to acknowledge that Trump was able to keep the economy going in the direction it had been up until the pandemic and the stock market broke records under his presidency, if I'm not mistaken.

I also find it interesting that, when your party is president, the stock market is the ultimate figure for economic success, but when the other party is president, the stock market is just a gambling expo where the wealthy become wealthier and has no real bearing on the economy.

And then you have the people who will claim the economy when their party is in charge, but then say the President has little or no impact on the economy when their party is not in charge, assuming the economy is doing well. If the economy is doing poorly, it's definitely the president of the other party's fault (or not the president of your party's fault).

This is absolutely spot on. My wife and her family are very conservative, while I’m not. It really gets old listening to the extremes of their opinions, which primarily come from her mother. Apparently, they believe that this Colonial Pipeline hack is because Russia has no respect for “sleepy Joe” and feel that they can do whatever they want. They said, quote, “Russia would have never dared to hack anything in the United States under Trump.”

Her parents also believed that Biden was going to collapse the US economy and she was going to lose her job so they moved assets around and prepared for the stock market crash. However, now that the stock market has continued to crush it, the conversation becomes exactly as you described. “What has Biden done, other than the economy?” OR “What has Biden done for the economy?”

I dated a girl in my freshman year of college who was also conservative. Very conservative. When Obama won his second term, she began sobbing because she was convinced he was the anti-Christ and the world was going to end. Some of this shit that people talk themselves into is just unbelievable.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thoughtson Biden's speech/plan? - Dill - 04-30-2021, 11:03 AM
RE: Thoughtson Biden's speech/plan? - Dill - 04-30-2021, 05:38 PM
RE: Thoughtson Biden's speech/plan? - Dill - 05-02-2021, 02:45 PM
RE: Thoughtson Biden's speech/plan? - Dill - 05-05-2021, 03:31 AM
RE: Thoughtson Biden's speech/plan? - CJD - 05-11-2021, 07:01 PM
RE: Thoughtson Biden's speech/plan? - CJD - 05-11-2021, 03:57 PM
RE: Thoughtson Biden's speech/plan? - CJD - 05-11-2021, 03:50 PM
RE: Thoughtson Biden's speech/plan? - CJD - 05-11-2021, 04:03 PM
RE: Thoughtson Biden's speech/plan? - Dill - 05-09-2021, 09:26 PM
RE: Thoughtson Biden's speech/plan? - CJD - 05-11-2021, 04:11 PM