Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York attorney general seeks to dissolve NRA...
(05-12-2021, 08:10 AM)Au165 Wrote: What makes it "partisan and politically motivated"? Did the officers illegally operate the organization, essentially abusing their non-profit status? The answer is yes. What happens when a non-profit is ran outside the scope of the legal requirements? It's dissolved and financial restitution is sought. The resolution she is seeking is actually very similar to the resolution the Trump family went through when their "non-profit" was found to be operating outside the bounds of what a non-profit should be doing years ago. 

Everything she is doing is exactly within the scope of her job and what she should be doing. The abuse of "non-profit" status is one that I wish more states would crackdown on as it's almost become a joke how bad some of these are. There is nothing stopping the NRA from moving to another state, once they answer for their crimes, and setting up there but you don't get to run away because you were caught after the fact.

I've actually addressed this exact point earlier in the thread.  If you find malfeasance on the part of some NRA board members, then prosecute them.  This abuse by some does not irrevocably taint the organization as a whole.  Unlike the Trump non-profit you cite, the NRA is an old organization with a long history of fighting for civil rights, not some fly by night scam.  Seeking dissolution of the group in its entirety, thus affecting millions of members, is both extreme and unnecessary.  As for this being a wholly partisan exercise and a gross misuse of the AG's authority, well, she proved that herself when she labeled the NRA a "terrorist organization" long before bringing these allegations.  Here's some more choice quotes from her;

"The National Rifle Association, the nation's preeminent guns-rights group, had a "poisonous agenda" that was "directly antithetical" to New York's tough gun-control laws, James said at the time."

"The NRA is an organ of deadly propaganda masquerading as a charity for public good," the plan read. "Its agenda is set by gun-makers who think arming teachers is a better idea than making it harder for kids to get military grade guns."

"The NRA holds (itself) out as a charitable organization, but in fact, (it) really (is) a terrorist organization," 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/08/19/nra-lawsuit-ny-ag-letitia-james-past-comments/5606437002/

So I don't even have to do any proving on my own, she does it for me.  I can understand if you don't like the NRA, or if you don't approve of its position on firearms.  But you literally can't say this corrupt POS isn't trying to destroy the NRA for purely partisan reasons.  She told you so herself.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: New York attorney general seeks to dissolve NRA... - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-12-2021, 10:22 AM