Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York attorney general seeks to dissolve NRA...
(05-12-2021, 11:04 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: No, you're completely missing the point being made.  The organization, and the members engaged in corrupt activity, absolutely can be punished.  The person actively prosecuting the case absolutely should not be someone with a known, extensive history of partisan hostility towards the organization being prosecuted.  Seriously, this is a cornerstone of the legal system, recusing yourself when there is even the possibility of a perception of bias.  Well, if you're at all ethical that is.

Again, you're not addressing the actual point being made.  The motivation for them filing in Texas has literally nothing to do with the point of my argument.

You keep saying I am missing the point, I think you are missing the point. The organization admitted to almost everything she is claiming they did. They just don't like the punishment she is proposing so they are scrambling to run away. She is proposing a punishment for said crimes that backed with precedent in other cases in the state of New York. It's simply a proposal that must be accepted by a judge, you know doing the whole thing that is ACTUALLY the cornerstone of how the legal system works. You can scream bias all day, but you literally said the organization can be punished, so why do her feelings about them matter if we agree they are corrupt and we recognize that the proposed punishment is within scope for such a crime? Again, she isn't unilaterally deciding on any punishment in fact her recommendations don't actually matter in the end.

The Texas thing does matter as I keep bringing up because the punishment of dissolution is not actually a death blow as you positioned it to be, they simply re-establish in another state. It doesn't disenfranchise millions of members because they simply get new cards in a few months with new addresses on them. If we remove that from the list of punishments then everything else is monetary, so why are were worried about a corrupt organization having to pay fines and restitution? It feels like it's more of a martyr syndrome than anything.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: New York attorney general seeks to dissolve NRA... - Au165 - 05-12-2021, 11:16 AM