Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the Critical Race Theory?
(05-14-2021, 06:28 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'd be curious to hear how you think it's being twisted and is being used to rile people up.  Honestly, I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if what I've seen isn't representative of what is actually being taught.

Fwiw, what I have seen here and there on Reddit and on Youtube concerns me very much.  It's seems counterproductive, and that's putting lightly.  Instead of creating less racial tensions, and developing more understanding it appears to be doing quite the opposite.

Below is an example of what I'm talking about, which was shared when Coke's racial training was made public. 

[Image: U3N7SRIMTPX4JWMSNW2U3DSBRQ.jpg]

That's from a course on Linkedin using pieces of Robin DiAngelo's work or interviews, some of it taken out of context and compiled by a 3rd party. It does not represent critical race theory but rather DiAngelo's controversial "White Fragility", which itself has critics within those who advocate for critical race theory. 

"White fragility" is an idea that essentially suggests that there is a resistance and sensitivity from White people when it comes to discussing race, and this unwillingness to confront race related issues hinders progress. It's an aggressive response to the sentiment of: "bringing up race causes more issues/if we didn't talk about race there wouldn't be so many issues", and critics have panned it for treating White people are too monolithic or being condescending to People of Color. DiAngelo may very well fall into her own traps.

I am about to run a D&D session (nerd alert), but I'll reply tomorrow and share some materials that I use in sociology to give you an understanding what I see as high school level appropriate application of the perspective.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the Critical Race Theory? - BmorePat87 - 05-14-2021, 08:55 PM