Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something that was really apparent last night
The media loves to tag a narrative to sports teams, the NFL experiences this more than most. I have heard so many reasons as to why this team is unbeaten, why Dalton is so improved. However I object with a lot of them. There is something they are all missing.

Sports media talk of Dalton's improved 'maturity'. While there may be some truth in that, I don't see it as the pivotal change. Dalton was drafted as a mature, pro-ready QB from the get go and proved it, getting this team to the playoffs as a rookie after a holdout.

The media too likes to talk of this teams health and depth. Undoubtedly this has been a factor this year. Having Eifert, Jones and Green fully healthy has been one of the main reasons Dalton is playing how he is and that this team is undefeated. Yet I still don't think it's the missing ingredient here. This team has had a number of talented teams with Palmer and Dalton under the helm and have failed to live up to potential.

The real difference here? The team is having fun. Last night against the Browns I noticed it more than ever. Dalton was smiling and laughing after completions. When Hue called a timeout in the first half to avoid a possible delay of game Dalton was relaxed, and playful with the coaches. Although they weren't too successful last night, Dalton is calling his own number on run plays, he wants to be a part of the fun. This is a team that is clearly enjoying its football and is playing with a level of calm and relaxation that I haven't seen personally from a Bengal side. As the wins continue this team is evidently enjoying its football more and taking itself less seriously. One of the features I have always thought defines Brady and the Patriots is the fact they are a band of brothers that love to be out on the field. I am increasingly getting the same vibe from this team.

You can look to stats, QBR, metrics, QB hurries and whatever else to try to unpick the success/failings of a team. But sometimes its far more simple than that, just look at their faces and body language.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Something that was really apparent last night - BritishBengal - 11-06-2015, 09:51 AM