Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the Critical Race Theory?
(05-14-2021, 06:28 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'd be curious to hear how you think it's being twisted and is being used to rile people up.  Honestly, I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if what I've seen isn't representative of what is actually being taught.

Fwiw, what I have seen here and there on Reddit and on Youtube concerns me very much.  It's seems counterproductive, and that's putting lightly.  Instead of creating less racial tensions, and developing more understanding it appears to be doing quite the opposite.

Below is an example of what I'm talking about, which was shared when Coke's racial training was made public. 

So, glad I didn't really have to respond. LOL Pretty much what Pat and Dill are saying. I'm a social scientist (public policy is an interdisciplinary field relying on sociology, psychology, political science, economics, and some other things in a more minor way), so when I see theories stemming from the social sciences being critiqued in the media (usually right-wing media) it is almost without fail an erroneous understanding of the theory. It is highly likely to be a misrepresentation of the claims made by the theory, and more often than not is rooted in someone tangentially related to it (or just claiming to be representing it without any real connection) doing something that isn't actually representative of the idea itself.

Long story short, if you are seeing a critique of something in the media that is stemming from the social sciences, it is more likely than not a misrepresentation of the actual idea.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the Critical Race Theory? - Belsnickel - 05-15-2021, 09:59 AM