Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm So Damn Tired of Hearing About Women's Sports and Their Pay
A lot of society don't care at all about women's sports. They even go so far as to say they shouldn't even exist if they can't financially support themselves. If there is no interest in watching it, it shouldn't be regarded the same as the Men's sports.

I think it's a complicated topic because a lot of sports start out as scholarship opportunities. The way our college system is set up, a ton of people cannot afford to even go to college in this country without learning something that is worthy of scholarship. In a lot of cases, it is academic scholarships, which makes sense. If you are good at school, come here to learn more and we'll pay for your education.

But not every person is going to be a 4.0 student and that shouldn't disqualify them from being able to go to college if they can't otherwise afford it.

I think that's where sports scholarships come into play. Whether it's more mainstream things like football or basketball or if it's your mid tier like track and field all the way down to the obscure stuff like rowing, these scholarships were meant to be a service to people who learned a sport so well they can compete on the national stage with their peers and scholarships reward them for their effort.

Now, obviously, a lot of what makes scholarships lucrative for schools is the revenue from people's interests in such sports. the NCAA makes a ton of money every year in many sports, but I think the education opportunities are important as well.

So eliminating, curtailing or otherwise downsizing women's sports will do nothing but limit the education opportunities for young women compared to young men.

And that's where things get complicated when it comes to men and women's sports. It's clear people are generally more interested in male sports than female sports. That probably has a lot to do with the fact that women weren't even expected (or in some cases, allowed) to get an education until the last 100 years or so. So men's sports were already well established before women's sports even got off the ground. So the question then becomes, do we allow this systemic inequality to remain just because it always has?

It's definitely the easier option. Just let women's sports die in the cruelty of the free market. It would definitely happen. But I think that does a disservice to all the young women who want to play sports for a living as they see boys do, but they simply cannot because it would not be a feasible career option. Without some form of professional sports for women, no women will pursue it which will then make the professional sport be guaranteed to never exist.

It becomes a self perpetuating cycle. Pay raises are one of the ways to increase the chances that women's sports will eventually become self sustaining.

As an aside, I do find it somewhat interesting that a lot of people don't tend to give a single shit about women's sports, even going so far as to say they aren't even necessary unless they're independently viable on an economic level, but the second that a trans woman wants to play, we must "defend the sanctity and fairness" of women's sports...or whatever their argument is.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm So Damn Tired of Hearing About Women's Sports and Their Pay - CJD - 05-16-2021, 12:08 PM