Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm So Damn Tired of Hearing About Women's Sports and Their Pay
Let's look at where this all began, Title IX. Prior to T9, many colleges were cancelling a vast amount of sports programs, because they weren't generating enough money to be self sufficient from the college budget. Title IX declared that all colleges could collectively use the revenue pool to fund all sports the college chose to offer.

In reality, a ton of athletes can thank NCAA Football and Men's Basketball for funding their scholarships and educational journeys.

The question should be, "Why was Title IX necessary in the first place"? Well, some, actually many sports only appeal to niche audiences. Therefore they don't draw enough eyeballs to merit television coverage, as there will be nowhere near enough revenue generated from advertising sales to support spending the money to air those events. So, Title IX resolved the issue by allowing kids in college to earn scholarships playing the sports they love, despite the lack of ability to earn enough money to support themselves as programs.

Then, we step to the professional sports arena. Big league sports are huge revenue generators, have been forever. They draw massive in stadium crowds, willing to pay reasonable sums to watch these events in person. They are so popular that media sees that they can make money from offering those events on television and radio, etc. Everyone involved makes money. Now, in present times, lesser sports that don't draw enormous crowds, don't generate a fraction of the viewing audience, or merit even a small fraction of the advertising revenue required to fund the coverage are suddenly demanding equality in salary?? What?? To quote former Bengals HC Marvin Lewis, "Run on your own gas"..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm So Damn Tired of Hearing About Women's Sports and Their Pay - SunsetBengal - 05-16-2021, 09:01 PM