Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carman At Guard- Consulted Willie Anderson
(05-17-2021, 08:36 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Who knows why the Bengals got rid if Paul Alexander after 24 years. I would imagine multiple reasons. None of which involved his just forgetting how to evaluate NFL talent..... which wasn't his primary job. Back on topic (without hurting feelings as best I can! Apologies to all!)

It’s probably confusing during the Mike Brown tenure because he holds onto coaches much longer than he should, but coaches are usually let go due to performance. Poor performance, more specifically. Take the 2018 Dallas Cowboys for instance. Before the bye week, their record was 3-4. After the bye week, they went 7-2. The difference? They fired their new offensive line coach during the bye. His name was Paul Alexander. Since then he hasn’t worked in the NFL again. Because everyone knows “NFL” stands for “not for long” except when Mike Brown hires you. Both Shula and Coslet had to resign because Mike literally wouldn’t fire them despite how bad they were. It only took Dallas seven weeks to learn what it took Mike Brown 24seasons to figure out. (If Shula hadn’t resigned he still might be the HC because according to Mike, Shula did everything he asked him to do.)

Quote:PA evaluated the guys that the scouting department passed and put in front of him. As a coach, he's not out there going through years worth of college tape and flying to a bunch of college games to evaluate guys. He typically got 1 or 2 limited workouts and some interviews and sometimes not even that, unless he was doing the Senior Bowl.

So some years Alexander had less than one limited workout? Sounds like a really good argument for adding more scouts to the staff which WAS MY ORIGINAL POINT to which people took exception.

Quote:This idea that he got every prospect he wanted and none he didn't is a fairy tale. Even the head coach got trumped by Scouts, Tobin, &/or Mike Brown. The Ross pick is a great example of that. PA was not running the Bengals drafts.

So if the Bengals ignored his draft input when he worked for them, why would they listen now?

List one offensive lineman the Bengals drafted which Alexander didn’t want.

Quote:Now that he is just doing consulting he is able to do a lot more and for a lot longer with prospects. He worked out Carman 10+ times. He ranked him as a 1st round talent among this group of linemen and he worked out some really great players. 25 of them. That shouldn't be some kiss of death given OA's 24 year career where he coached and developed some outstanding O lines.

Now that Carman is paying Paul Alexander to work with him, Alexander has more time to work with Carman? Wow, that’s shocking. Twenty five clients and if you look at his Twitter all 25 are exceptionally talented and draft steals. It’s almost as if he is paid by his clients to say good things about them . . . which, of course, he is. And Alexander does say nice things about his clients because . . . wait for it . . . they’re paying him.

Quote:The Bengals had a horrible string of poor franchise tag uses, and Andrews would certainly be 1 of them.

I guess it’s just another one of those offensive line personnel decisions the offensive line coach mysteriously had no input into making.

Quote:Look, the players have a talent level and, after that, it's mostly on them to maximize it. Some do, some don't.  Andrews was just in it for the money, clearly. He stopped efforting and developing after he got paid.... by 2 different teams.

Yeah, it’s almost as if the ability to identify those players with the skill to play is at a premium. And a coach can only develop so much.

This is what I wrote that upset you:

(05-11-2021, 12:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: His firing was, in part, due to his inability to identify and develop talent outside of the first two rounds. And at the end of his tenure, he couldn’t even do that in the first two rounds.

You asked when was I going to give Alexander credit. I just did. After the second round, he sucks. If you disagree, data will change my mind. Produce a list of players he drafted after the second round who didn’t suck.

Which also means during the first two rounds, he didn’t suck. So there’s the credit for all rounds of the draft. You just weren’t able to hash that out on your own unless I spoon fed it to you.

But, according to you, Alexander isn’t responsible for the draft picks, so why should I give him credit for something you just argued he isn’t responsible for?

You also just argued the players have an inherent talent level and that’s about it. So if that’s true, why should I give credit to Alexander for developing an inherent talent?

You’re talking out both sides of you mouth. One the one side, I need to give Alexander credit for his draft picks and player development, but on the other Alexander isn’t responsible for the draft picks or the player development. Make up your mind.

Quote:This coaching staff clearly put a huge emphasis on finding guys who love to play football. Carman, for example, played his last 5 games with an injury when he could have shut it down. This ended up HURTING his draft stock vs not playing.

To continue to hate on the kid for any and every reason makes little sense.

Show me the quote where I hated on him or are you just “straw manning”?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Carman At Guard- Consulted Willie Anderson - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 05-17-2021, 11:22 AM