Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carman At Guard- Consulted Willie Anderson
(05-12-2021, 05:09 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I am hesitant to expect much from them because, every year or so we find a way to nab a guy who fell down boards for no reason, only for there to be a pretty legitimate reason.

Guys like Rodney Anderson, Malik Jefferson, Josh Malone, Andrew Billings, Paul Dawson, Derron Smith, Reid Fragel and Brandon Thompson.

Every year our "biggest steal" in the late 3rd round or on day 3 ends up just being another nobody who fell for a reason that the teams knew but we didn't.

Not saying this is definitely what's going to happen with these two, but I'm going in expecting absolutely nothing. That way, if they do anything at all it will feel like a bonus Tongue.

The last one who felt like a steal in recent year was Carl Lawson. Some mocks had him going in the first and I really wanted him in the 2nd round and we got him in the 4th.

Hubbard was slated as a late first, but more likely 2nd round guy we got in the third - and he's basically Michael Johnson.

So it's not right to say they all busted. Billings maybe wasn't a star but was solid. Derron Smith was good for where we got him. Rodney Anderson was a knowing roll of the dice and I'd take that gamble every time in the 6th. Dawson and Jefferson looked bad picks at the time all athleticism and no instincts. Malone had upside but was no sure thing (aka a 3rd round pick)

(05-12-2021, 09:29 PM)OSUfan Wrote: While I am not an Alexander fan he is respected throughout the league and your assessment is not completely accurate.

1996 - Willie Anderson
1998 - Mike Goff (played in the league until 2009)
2002 - Levi Jones
2003 - Eric Steinbach
2004 - Stacy Andrews (played in the league until 2011)
2006 - Andrew Whitworth
2008 - Anthony Collins (played in the league until 2014)
2009 - Andre Smith (still in the league)
2011 - Clint Boling
2012 - Kevin Zeitler
2014 - Russell Bodine ( in the league until 2020)

Pretty respectable list of players he was involved in evaluating.

The one that stands out for me is Levi Jones. The Bengals took some serious heat for that pick at the time but history vindicates Alexander as he was a franchise tackle.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Carman At Guard- Consulted Willie Anderson - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 05-18-2021, 11:20 AM