Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals 2015 Roster and PFF rankings
(05-23-2021, 12:48 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Regardless of whether or not it's "might be" or "is", it's still an incredibly stupid statement.

Tyreek Hill has played for only 5 seasons.  3 of those 5 seasons he finished under 1,200 yards.  2 of those 5 seasons he finished under 1,000 yards.  3 of those 5 seasons he finished with less than 10 TD's.  He's only hit 15 TD's once.

Now let's take a look at Randy Moss begining of his career (in an era where they threw the ball a lot less, and defenders were given way more leeway in contact and physical play)...

1,313 yards and 17 TD's.
1,413 yards and 11 TD's.
1,437 yards and 15 TD's.
1,233 yards and 10 TD's.
1,347 yards and 7 TD's.
1,632 yards and 17 TD's.

This is even before we get to his other 8 years in the league, or that he had 23 TD's in a single season (half of Tyreek Hill's career total).  This is before we get to Moss being paired with Culpepper for bulk of the above, while Hill has been paired with Mahomes for 3 of the last 5 years, and a Pro Bowl Alex Smith before that.

There's no might about it.  He's not even close to matching him in anything.  And even if he were, it's way too early in his career to start talking about "greatest of all time" about anything.

Agree to disagree, but this makes PFF look bad.  And this is just one example, I've seen plenty of others.

I still think there's some usefullness to what they provide but the more and more I see stuff like this the more I wonder how qualified the people who work for them actually are.

I don't necessarily disagree that Moss was a better deep threat than Hill, but the raw production numbers you posted don't really do much to show that.  The quote was about the best deep threat, not the most productive.

I have no idea in what context the statement was made or how much the guy that made it has researched it.  If he did research it, the obvious thing to look at would be things like catch % and YPT on passes that traveled 20+ yards in the air.  Frankly, Moss doesn't have great efficiency #'s, which play a lot into analytics.  Moss has as many seasons where he caught less than half his targets as he does seasons where he caught 60+%.  And Moss's target volume is insane.  Hill's career high is 137 in a season and Moss has 6 seasons with the same or more, with a career high of 185 and 4 of 150+.

I would look at PFF as the equivalent of a respected NFL reporter like Schefter.  They aren't right 100% of the time, but they get enough right that you have to put some serious consideration into what they say.  It's just strange to me that so many Bengals fans complain about wanting to modernize the scouting department, but are so dismissive of analytics when they have become such a big part of modern day talent evaluation for NFL front offices.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals 2015 Roster and PFF rankings - Whatever - 05-23-2021, 02:30 PM