Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals 2015 Roster and PFF rankings
(05-23-2021, 02:30 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't necessarily disagree that Moss was a better deep threat than Hill, but the raw production numbers you posted don't really do much to show that.  The quote was about the best deep threat, not the most productive.

I have no idea in what context the statement was made or how much the guy that made it has researched it.  If he did research it, the obvious thing to look at would be things like catch % and YPT on passes that traveled 20+ yards in the air.  Frankly, Moss doesn't have great efficiency #'s, which play a lot into analytics.  Moss has as many seasons where he caught less than half his targets as he does seasons where he caught 60+%.  And Moss's target volume is insane.  Hill's career high is 137 in a season and Moss has 6 seasons with the same or more, with a career high of 185 and 4 of 150+.

I would look at PFF as the equivalent of a respected NFL reporter like Schefter.  They aren't right 100% of the time, but they get enough right that you have to put some serious consideration into what they say.  It's just strange to me that so many Bengals fans complain about wanting to modernize the scouting department, but are so dismissive of analytics when they have become such a big part of modern day talent evaluation for NFL front offices.  

I'll see if I can dig up the article or tweets that show that Randy Moss is far superior.  I can't remember where I read them but I did see people discussing this when the PFF writer posted that.  They used the 20+ you referenced, as well as 40+.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals 2015 Roster and PFF rankings - Wes Mantooth - 05-23-2021, 02:36 PM