Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the Critical Race Theory?
(05-27-2021, 05:47 PM)Dill Wrote: I've been thinking more about the centrality of slave OWNING in some of your questions and comments about CRT, Wes.  

They've got me wondering

1) have you somehow gotten the impression that teaching CRT is largely about reminding/teaching Americans that white people owned slaves in the US? 

2) Have you encountered personally or seen on tv or read about exchanges in which some (Black) people referred so collectively to the ancestors of white people? Or have you seen reporting claiming that is what CRT is about? 

1.) My concerns and my opinion mainly revolve around what's being learned rather than what's being taught.  What are students taking away from these classes? 

Is it helping them?  Is it helping race relations?  Is it helping people come together more?  Is helping to empower students?

Or is hurting students?  Is it hurting race relations?  Is it causing more division?  Does it lead to resentment, or shame?  Does it cause Black Americans to feel futher removed from the "system" and to feel like they don't have the same chances of success in life?

I haven't taken these classes, and there's so many different examples of CRT that have been presented that's almost impossible to critique the subject as a whole.  I just don't understand what the end-game is here.  I also don't understand why we're introducing sociology into the lower levels of education.

2.) I've seen countless examples of college aged students, college grads and adults in general stuggle with so much of what surrounds these issues.  And when I say countless, I mean hundreds of hundreds of times over.  I've seen this in comments sections, on Twitter, on Reddit, watching debates on college campuses, seeing footage of protests, seeing interactions on sites like youtube, etc.

Now, granted, these may not all be the result of CRT specifically.  Some of these opinions may be parroted from all over.  Some may be learned in Sociology courses in college that differ from CRT but they share similar talking points.  But I still think when you introduce some of these shared talking points it's not at all given that students will come away with what was intended by exploring them.

There's an incredible amount of nuance to these subjects and much of it seems lost on those who in engage in speaking about it or debating it.  If I had more time I had go down the rabbit hole that is yoube tube and provide with examples but it would take forever.  I'm hoping you know the type of rheotic I'm speaking of.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the Critical Race Theory? - Wes Mantooth - 05-28-2021, 12:10 PM