Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I'll be ready to go when it's time to go"
(05-28-2021, 02:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I never have to resort to sematic arguments.

There is a big difference between an argument based on semantics, which is basically arguing about the exact meaning of words, and an people claiming they did not mean what they actually said.

For example one definition of "guarantee" is "to assert confidently".  In this case Reader "asserted confidently" that he would be ready for the season.  To claim that he didn't is a nit-picky attempt at a semantic argument.  But on the other hand the term "the worst" does not mean "just bad" or "some of the worst".  So when I point out that that some player or coach is not "the worst" I am making a factual argument, not a semantic argument.

Where are you getting said definition?

The ones I have from Oxford Languages are:
a formal promise or assurance (typically in writing) that certain conditions will be fulfilled, especially that a product will be repaired or replaced if not of a specified quality and durability.
a formal pledge to pay another person's debt or to perform another person's obligation in the case of default.
provide a formal assurance or promise, especially that certain conditions shall be fulfilled relating to a product, service, or transaction.

Asserting confidently and guaranteeing are different. Asserting confidently is, for example, a high probability of confidence (e.g. 90%) whereas a guarantee is 100%.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: "I'll be ready to go when it's time to go" - ochocincos - 05-28-2021, 03:22 PM