Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Texas set to allow unlicensed handgun carry despite outcry
(05-29-2021, 02:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Oh, Fred left?  Who will fill the daily quota of word twisting and prevaricating?  But seriously folks, if you have PC to investigate someone then their open carrying or not is irrelevant.  Unless the open carry is the reason for the PC, which it couldn't be if open carry is legal.

I predict that even with Fred gone, accusations of 'word twisting and prevarication' will continue at their former level.

In Fred's hypothetical case, the question was whether documentation and paper trails assisted law enforcement in determining whom weapons belonged to and whether they were lawfully owned. If one requires no documentation for open carry, then that is less documentation--in this case in a state with no gun registry.  Is it possible that law enforcement could stop a group of armed men for a reason not pertaining to OC, but then ask them about their weapons?

(05-29-2021, 02:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have a hard time believing that.  You used frontier towns as an example of gun control as a positive, I simply pointed out the flaws in your analogy.
Or, it might have been due to the general lawlessness of the frontier.  After all, how many train robberies a year do we get now versus then?  I'm willing to go out on a limb and say fewer.

I see how laws against OC might reduce gunfights in towns, but I don't see how they would reduce "lawlessness" outside towns, like train robberies (which we might see less of today because people don't ship payrolls on trains).  Just as I don't see a connection between segregation and laws forbidding open carry, other than that they might have occurred in the same towns.  

So if Frontier towns forbade open carry because they believed (based on their experience) that it increased danger to the public, and we might consider whether the same problem arises today if we pass open carry laws, you still maintain that analogy of past to present is flawed if some towns were segregated too? But you just say this is so without explaining.  Is there an implicit civil rights comparison here or something? Can anyone else explain if SSF cannot? 

Seems quite possible our ancestors could have been right about the danger to the public and wrong about segregation, given that the basis of law controlling each is very different. If you are right, then what laws deemed sensible today would not be "flawed" if they co-existed with segregation?

(05-29-2021, 02:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Who said you were?  I was pointing out that your example is indeed a "worst case scenario" and even so, how it could, and likely would, be resolved without the confusion you apparently feel is inevitable in such a scenario.
So, you think that law enforcement will respond to an active shooter event, witness two parties exchanging gunfire and then just light absolutely everyone up without issuing any commends to cease, i.e. law down your weapons and get on the ground?

I don't know if they would light up "everyone." That wasn't my premise.  Nor was it that there would only be "two parties exchanging gunfire." To tell the truth, its not easy to predict what law enforcement will do these days. Was this "good guy" told to lay down his weapon before being shot dead?  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/26/us/black-man-killed-alabama-mall-shooting.html

(05-29-2021, 02:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Indeed, you imagine, as you said, a "worst case scenario".  Seeing as how open carry and shall issue concealed carry has existed for some time in many states maybe you can provide us with just one real life example that fits your doomsday scenario?

If I had "one real life example" that fit my "doomsday scenario" I'd probably have referenced that. The goal here is to prevent such.
Will massively increasing the number of people open carrying do that?

(05-29-2021, 02:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It happens more often than you probably realize.  An armed citizen stopping a criminal during the course of their crime is not exactly an unheard of event.

Oh I know. This Good-guy-with-a-gun very likely saved lives before the police arrived and shot him dead on the spot. 

‘Good guy with a gun’ comes to rescue; police kill him'
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11/12/good-guy-with-a-gun-comes-to-rescue-police-kill-him/

The incident began with a confrontation involving several men, and a man left to retrieve a gun. He returned to the bar and opened fire, striking several people, the Chicago Tribune reported, citing remarks from Robbins Police Chief Roy Wells.

Roberson returned fire and apprehended one suspect... as officers from suburban police departments responded.

It is unclear how the killing unfolded from there — how and whether officers identified themselves, whether Roberson was holding a gun, or how much time passed before the officer fired at Roberson, who was pronounced dead at a hospital.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Texas set to allow unlicensed handgun carry despite outcry - Dill - 05-29-2021, 05:45 PM