Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WalterFootball Says Chase Is Impressing!
(06-04-2021, 01:19 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Let me state this again before I get called negative or combative or anything else.

I think Chase will be a good WR.

However, the generational term is silly at this point and way too early to call him that, or even say he has that type of talent. Look at the careers of Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss and Julio in college. Look at A.J. Green. When that type of talent walks onto a college campus, they go out there and produce year one. All those names above, did exactly that. Chase year one, barely broke 300 yards and he had Burrow at QB.

What changed that took Burrow from a projected 4th round pick to 1st overall, and launched Justin Jefferson from 800 yards to 1500 yards and Chase from 313 yards to 1700 yards, as well as Clyde Edwards-Helaire going off to the 3rd most yards in LSU history as a RB.

The answer - Joe Brady. The only difference on offense from the 2018 to 2019 LSU team was bringing in Joe Brady. 

If Chase hadn't sat out and showed people he could produce without Burrow and without Brady, maybe I'd be more in on the hype. But right now, he has one season worth talking about and it was a season that turned college football upside down masterminded by a guy who spent one season at LSU and got an OC job. 

Now if the Bengals moved on from Taylor and had Brady in the building or had just hired Brady last season before Carolina did, again maybe you'd see the magical type of stuff till the league caught up, but that didn't happen.

Right now based on stats alone, the jump from 300 to over 1000 is more like the career of John Ross than that of Calvin Johnson. I know that will piss people off but until he plays real snaps in the NFL, let's hold off on his HoF bust being made.

Joe Brady was a hell of a coach at LSU, but the best coaches in the world can draw up some amazing plays that won't work if you don't have guys that can execute the plan.  Chase was the #1 WR in the SEC and was unstoppable.  This was before COVID, and he went against some future first round picks and smoked them.  Then, his testing at the combine was ridiculous.  

Side note:  I think one of the most under appreciated aspects of Chase is his STRENGTH.  The kid benched 225 something like 21 times?  At around 200 lbs, that is absurd.  He knocked out more than some linemen.  Amazing.

Back to topic:  You are absolutely right that we can't say anything about Chase in the NFL as of yet since he hasn't proved it.  We said the same thing about Burrow.  That being said, I think based on what he did in college, and at what age, that is worthy of a title like "generational".  We shall see if he can do it in the NFL, but as of right now, he has broken records at every level he has played.  I can't wait to see him on Sundays.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: WalterFootball Says Chase Is Impressing! - SHRacerX - 06-05-2021, 08:35 AM