Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on contract extensions.
(06-07-2021, 09:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I find different numbers at different sites, but Bengals have at least $18 million in cap space.  I don't see us signing any more expensive free agents.  We might sign a vet WR cut from another team or something like that but it won't cost much.  Plus any free agent we bring in will bump the previous #51 player who makes at least $850K.

Many big Bengal contract extensions have been announce during training camp/pre-season.  I predict we will get a contract extension done with either Bates or Hubbard.  It will be a bad sign if we don't.

Obviously Bates is the #1 priority.  Hubbard is a good player deserving an extension.  Bates is elite.

But if we sign Hubbard and not Bates will we really know the reason.  If Bates just does not trust a long-term deal with the Bengals he will never say anything like that publicly.  Hubbard is more of a local boy who grew up a Bengal fan.  Obviously he will be much more likely to take a chance on a long term deal with the Bengals.

Every NFL team prefers to keep good players they have developed instead of constantly taking chances on free agents from other teams.  That is why such a small percentage of really good players become free agents in their prime.  I have a feeling the Bengals will make a strong push to extend Bates, but if they can't get him then they pretty much have to lock up Hubbard for a few more years.

I will be really concerned if we don't get a deal with either one of them.

I don't know that we do.  With the cap going up, Bates and his agent may gamble on a bigger pay day, not a slight vs Cincy.  Hubbard may be the safer bet to sign, but I don't think it's an either or, they have enough to keep both.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thoughts on contract extensions. - CJD - 06-08-2021, 12:45 PM
RE: Thoughts on contract extensions. - phil413 - 06-07-2021, 09:21 PM
RE: Thoughts on contract extensions. - J24 - 06-08-2021, 02:49 PM