Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Kamala Harris: Enjoy The Long Weekend
(06-09-2021, 11:13 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: No, I think most of the blame is on the media honestly.  If you just look at their psycho rage and hate they spewed by the minute you can see how people would be up in arms.  When half the Country is constantly being called names and told they are pieces of sh!t and racist biggots just because of who they voted for and the policies they wanted to see implemented that is a huge problem.  

Mick, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that Trump's own behavior was not the cause of his own bad press. Is that right? E.g. like the press calling out his lies is entirely disconnected from Trump lying in the first place? Just a kind of name calling?

E.g., if he got bad press early on for amplifying the birther lie, it was not because he showed poor judgment trying to de-legitimize our first African American president with a conspiracy theory, but because of media "psycho hate." His support for the death penalty for the Central Park five, even after DNA had exonerated them, was not an especially bad thing? And all the accusations against him of sexual harassment and rape, which he dismissed by insulting his accusers. And I don't think even Nixon and Agnew were as verbally abusive of the press and their political opponents as Trump was. People should be "up in arms" if bad behavior is condemned in the press?

The "media" is not just the MSM. Remember that you also have a right wing media "spewing" disinformation about Trump's opponents. He jumped into a political environment in which millions of Fox viewers had been primed for two decades to dismiss the more responsible MSM, and you don't think that influenced his strategy from the get go, disparaging the free press to court that audience?

Fox was rather like official state news under Trump. Fox commentators could influence him directly through their programs. That is unprecedented and dangerous. The captain of the U.S. ship of state takes sailing advice from people who have never sailed.

Worse, Fox and OANN amplified Trump's big lie that the election was stolen, leading to the Capitol breach on 1/6. There was a moment when Fox began honestly reporting Biden had won the election and the election was not fraudulent, but then they began to lose audience mass and shifted back. Now, once again, they are the news organ of a party still under Trump's control.  

I'm surprised you find none of this disturbing. 

And what of continued support for Trump, as he continues to push the big lie after the Capitol riots and after he clearly attempted to coerce state officials to alter election results, and as spurious, illegal recounts continue in AZ and are threatened in PA and GA which will surely destabilize future elecrtions--why isn't that a "big problem"?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kamala Harris: Enjoy The Long Weekend - Dill - 06-09-2021, 11:48 AM