Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Kamala Harris: Enjoy The Long Weekend
(06-11-2021, 11:34 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It's not about trusting, or not trusting anyone.  It's taking the time to really explore these statistics, and how they relate to any number of other issues.  It's about you yourself investing the time in really understanding these things.  That's important no matter what the study is, or your initial stance. (Conservative, liberal, or something in between, do your own research to wrap you head around these numbers.)

Are singlular "anonymous Redditors" trustworthy?  Not usually.  But you can find a wealth of information in that thread, complete with a variety of links and resources.  Last I checked there were over 10k comments in that thread.  I spent a good 45 minutes in there today reading just about every single side of the debate you could imagine.

I may go in there and pull some stats for you, but here's two that might stand out.  Let's take the study at face value, and let's assume the parameters set are unbiased and completely accurate (fwiw, the 96.3% was proven to bs in the thread) ...

96.3% of BLM protest were peaceful.  (To quote the link: BLM is "overwhelming peaceful")

99.9999xxx of police interactions are non-lethal. (Justifed and non justified deaths are both included)

One is desribed as "overwhelming peaceful.  The other is descibed as an epidemic by some, depsite being a fraction of a fraction, of fraction of fraction less likely.

Does that make sense to you? 

You want me to bring up Covid death rates, which we all agree is a legitimate concern?

0.0014% of Americans have died from Covid.

So taking a 3.7% statistic, with a sample size that large, and pretending like it's somehow postive or no big deal seems completely disinegenous.  You can't pick and choose which statisics to hyperfocus on and other to ignore.

Also, as far as blindly trusting academia, and specifically the Ivy League, this recent story gives me pause...

https://news.yahoo.com/yale-speaker-says-killing-white-015402379.html

Comparing BLM protests to police brutality is pretty bad faith at best.

Nobody is infiltrating police unions and making them defend the pieces of shit who go around abusing their authority to completely undermind their message - they're doing that plenty fine on their own. Unless you're ignoring how police unions got the okay to cut out people who are smarter than the average cop.

Also, police brutality =/= lethal. So you'll excuse me if I spin my fingers sarcastically at a bunch of Redditors arguing the report and get back to watching Community for the 18th time.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kamala Harris: Enjoy The Long Weekend - BigPapaKain - 06-11-2021, 11:52 PM