Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists)
(06-18-2021, 09:16 AM)hollodero Wrote: Does it matter? 
Imho, they can pick any agenda they please, or no agenda at all, just lies and a cult of personality, coup attempts, whatever they want - within 8 years they regain power in any case. So why not run on an anti-democratic platform, or on a theoretical fascist platform for that matter, and stop this pendulum from swinging back again. It's not like the electorate would flee from them over any of that.

That's imho the gravest threat: That people just use the democratic process to elect antidemocratic people into office, because they do not appreciate democracy any more. Greatly heightened if there's only one viable alternative many people just detest.

I don't think this can be understated. For years, there has been this messaging of fear over white people becoming a minority in this country. I think that this has caused many white people (and I am specifying the white part of the electorate for this) to find themselves less in favor of democracy. The idea of a system potentially no longer favoring them over all others is scary to them and they vote in a way they perceive as protecting their interests. It isn't really, but that's how they see it.

Now, why we are seeing a drop in the percentage of votes from other races for Democrats is generally not related to this. Although, it should be said, that for a lot of Latino and Asian voters that are immigrants, they often come from places that aren't necessarily as democratic, and so their view of it can be different. But more often than not, the vote has more to do with social issues than it does with democratic ideas. Though I would venture a guess that most people who are voting for anti-democratic policies aren't even aware that this is the underlying reasoning. Propaganda has a way of doing that to people.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists) - Belsnickel - 06-18-2021, 03:18 PM