Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals Rebuild Year 2 Offseason
(06-18-2021, 06:56 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I should have rephrased my question. How many olinemen
Did Turner develop as a oline coach in all his years?
Richie Incognito was already a solid linenan before Turner
Got to him. His issue has always been between his ears
Pouncey was going to be good no matter who his oline
Coach was.he comes from.Good football stock.
I.just know when.Turner was the Bengals oline coach as
A unit the Bengals oline regressed.
I see none of the current oline is missing him

As a former coach that’s a difficult question to answer because growth of players is always on them. When Turner was hired I looked at things his players said about him over his years at A&M. Discipline, attention to details, workman-like. Even when he was let go last year, people on the A&M board said they should get him back.

So here is one anyway. An 18 year old with no major scholarship offers goes to BC and becomes a first round draft pick and 10 year starter in the NFL. Does that count?

An of course I can always look at other coaches (like Pollack) Did he develop Zack Martin, Tyron Smith, etc.? Weren’t they “always going to be good.” It works both ways, right?

As for regression, chemistry, continuity and consistency plays a huge role in that. Because the hand he was dealt, he had zero chance to do any of that.

I’m a fan of Pollack and greatly prefer the wide zone. I’m not a big fan of Turner. But his resume o-line wise was entirely appropriate to be hired. Things didn’t work out but not much went in his favor.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Bengals Rebuild Year 2 Offseason - Synric - 06-14-2021, 11:59 AM
RE: Bengals Rebuild Year 2 Offseason - CoachGeorge - 06-18-2021, 07:42 PM