Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists)
(06-18-2021, 03:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't think this can be understated. For years, there has been this messaging of fear over white people becoming a minority in this country. I think that this has caused many white people (and I am specifying the white part of the electorate for this) to find themselves less in favor of democracy. The idea of a system potentially no longer favoring them over all others is scary to them and they vote in a way they perceive as protecting their interests. It isn't really, but that's how they see it.

Now, why we are seeing a drop in the percentage of votes from other races for Democrats is generally not related to this. Although, it should be said, that for a lot of Latino and Asian voters that are immigrants, they often come from places that aren't necessarily as democratic, and so their view of it can be different.  But more often than not, the vote has more to do with social issues than it does with democratic ideas. Though I would venture a guess that most people who are voting for anti-democratic policies aren't even aware that this is the underlying reasoning. Propaganda has a way of doing that to people.

It also seems to have a lot to do with the power and influence "your side" can be given by the people when you successfully convince them the "other side" is dangerous.  When you can convince people that one of the two major political parties that gets elected into power ever 4-12 years is going to destroy the country, suddenly leaving elections up to the people sounds like a risky proposition.

I can almost relate to this line of thinking with some finagling.  I hate mayonnaise and white bread, but I'd rather just eat a mayo on white bread sandwich than give the internet the power to decide what I eat for lunch from the choices of:

1 - expensive and delightful filet mignon
2 - a lightbulb

Because I know there is an unreasonably high chance people vote for me to eat the lightbulb...in this case I realize that freedom of choice is a bad thing and I will do everything in my power to remove the freedom of choice from the equation.  And while I realize this is a stupid comparison, I'm pretty sure the GOP has convinced people that living in a democracy is opening the door for a political party that wants us all to die, suffer, and then go directly to hell to seize power.  

A lot of people are willing to believe what they are told rather than what they see.  Then again, maybe I've just got it so good that I can't even realize that this country apparently went from a shithole to paradise to a shithole again in the past decade.   
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists) - Nately120 - 06-18-2021, 10:03 PM