Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Leave it to the NCAA to Unite the Country
(06-21-2021, 03:15 PM)Stewy Wrote: I wonder if this will have unforeseen consequences.  There are many schools that have lots of money, but not so great sports programs.  

How about schools in the IVY league?  Now an athlete that is serious about education, will be even more tempted to schools that have top notch programs.  I mean if an athlete has no interest in education then fine, they'll go where they always have.  But would more education benefits from Harvard and post-grad internships ,etc. be a much larger draw than say from Iowa or West Virginia or Washington.  Your big programs are always going to get the best of the best, but I wonder if those who are serious about their education, but on the fence as to where to attend will be lured away from the weaker/lesser schools of the Power 5 and be drawn to that promise of higher education.

From the example above, going to Harvard is expensive outside of room/board.  Boston/Cambridge has super expensive cost of living.  And if a highly intelligent, but very poor (financially) athlete can now be given laptops, books, perhaps subway fare, of campus housing stipend, etc., then this could really tip the scales toward medial to exceptional athletes who want an education actually pursuing that path in favor of settling for an affordable education at a lesser school.

It's an interesting thought.

The Ivy League schools can't give athletic scholarships so they have always been in a weird situation. It is a league driven issue versus NCAA but has always made it a really interesting case study in itself.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Leave it to the NCAA to Unite the Country - Au165 - 06-21-2021, 03:54 PM