Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists)
(06-22-2021, 12:32 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I would assume so during the democrat primaries when everyone has a D beside their name. I disagree though I believe there are plenty of people that vote strictly on the D and R in the general election. Though there's certainly a larger group in between those extremes.

I am curious as to how much of a percentage the legitimate swingers are that can and have voted in either direction.

The question here was not whether there are voters who just vote the "D." There certainly are.

Rather, the question I addressed was whether the majority of black voters were voting for Biden just because he had a "D" by his name, and not for any particular qualities he might have as candidate or the policies he might emphasize, as opposed to other Dem candidates.

Certainly the Dem party is seen by the majority of Black voters to more closely represent their interests, and so many will vote "D" no matter who is running. But it is rather an oversimplification to assume that's all there is at play for them when it is Dem vs Republican. 

To her chagrin, Hillary Clinton discovered this in the 2016 election, when 4.4 million Obama voters stayed home, and she lost the election by some 70,000 votes in three key states. Those abstent voters were looking for more than just a "D."

To foreground that "extra" quality which motivates voters beyond simply the "D," I mentioned the primaries, where everyone has a "D," and that cannot explain why people voted for Biden over, say, Harris or Gabbard. 

Is there any reason to suppose that factors leading Black voters to choose Biden over other candidates are suddenly nil in the national election--they preferred Biden's policy emphases during the primaries but "only" considered the "D" in the national election? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists) - Dill - 06-22-2021, 05:19 PM