Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transgender vets now have a VA clinic
(11-06-2015, 05:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What would your opinion be if a post that contained photos of trans that do not look anything like the gender they are identifying with to illustrate their point.

I recognize that there are those that do not "pass". I could show plenty of pictures of that being the case. I've said before I am in favor of unisex restrooms. I am just pointing out the ridiculousness of the hard stance that the "plumbing" should dictate the restroom they use. Can we leave it at that? I know you would not be posting any images with the intent to ridicule in that instance but it oftentimes feels to me like posting images of those that are not as seamless in their integration can be demeaning and mocking. Even if they do not know it.

(11-06-2015, 05:39 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I know you don't like some of these things that are said and you personally are not going after anyone or any group for the most part.   When I make the comparison you are not the one that is directed.   The only thing that aggravates me about you is the ever changing list of acceptable words for them.   And I know you are not personally  making the lists, just reporting them.   So really there should be no aggravation haha  
It would be nice for someone to admit how ridiculous the whole list is ....

Honestly, for me it is not about the words used, but the intent behind them. I could be inferring something from your posts that is not there, but it often feels to me like your language is chosen in a manner intended to be derisive. It can come across as if you are belittling these people. You may not see it as such, but I can tell you that every person I know that is trans would take umbrage with your claim in the other thread that their identification as a gender that does not match their biological sex is a choice. These people struggle with this. Their reluctance to come to terms with it, the pressure from outside sources, causes depression among the majority of people that identify as such. Suicide rates are extremely high among the trans population because of this.

When you know people intimately (not sexually, you get my drift) that deal with this like Pat and I both do, it becomes something you look at in a different light. You've seen the struggle, you've seen the turmoil they have had to deal with while they came to terms with it. I don't wish that kind of emotion on anyone. The best thing any of us can do when we see something like this that there is so much ignorance (and this is not to use ignorance in a judgmental way, just the lack of knowledge) out there in regards to it, the only thing we can do is attempt to educate. Sometimes, because we may be close to the situation, emotions can run high and cause some issues. But really we are just trying to advocate respect.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Houston voters respond: bathroom usage by anatomy - Belsnickel - 11-06-2015, 05:55 PM