Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CRT Part II: Defunding the Military
(06-29-2021, 10:15 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, I do find the argument that CRT is strictly teaching history just a tad bit bit disingenous.  It's much more sociology based.

I see this argument made over and over.  "Republicans don't want history taught in schools."  But is that really what they're opposed to?  Because I don't think it is.

I've seen a number of people who are opposed to CRT come out and clearly state they have absolutely no issues with spending more time on historical events that relate to race. (Ex: The Tulsa Race Riots) 

What they're opposing is language like:  opressor, opressed, systemic, institutional, fragility, privilege, rage, implicit bias, appropriation, microagression, whiteness etc.  (None of these are terms commonly found in historical teachings)

I don't think Nately said that CRT was "strictly teaching history." Did someone else somewhere?

But I can see why opposing language like "opressor, opressed, systemic, institutional, fragility, privilege, rage, implicit bias, appropriation, microagression, whiteness etc" could obscure/revise history. You won't disagree that U.S. history includes "oppressors and oppressed," will you? And that this oppression was not simply person-to-person by a few "bad apples," but had institutional, legal, governmental support, right?  And while there might have been a few black slave owners, slavery and segregation were largely white-dominated institutions which benefited whites, weren't they? I ask these questions to determine where we are in agreement and where not regarding the actual history of the U.S.

It used to be that terms like "slavery" and "segregation" were not commonly found in historical teachings at the public school level--though they have long been at college level. And their inclusion was opposed as "leftist indoctrination" which denigrated heroic Founders and taught students to "hate" America. 

We agree that there has been considerable Trump-led movement among Republicans to ban funding to schools that incorporate the 1619 project into their curricula, right?  

I am guessing where we will disagree is on the question of whether history can be taught without adopting some perspective, as if current/past teaching has somehow been race neutral and now the CRTers want to "slant" or bias it in one direction. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
CRT Part II: Defunding the Military - Dill - 06-24-2021, 07:28 PM
RE: CRT Part II: Defunding the Military - Dill - 06-30-2021, 12:17 PM