Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesse Bates On Sports Illustrated Under Age 25 All-Star Team
(07-04-2021, 11:10 AM)kevin Wrote: So it makes me sick that Bates contract runs out at the end of this season. The Bengals need to come off The Cheap and offer him a long contract better than his low pay rookie contract. 

Resign Bates NOW if this losing franchise really wants to end the 30 years of no play-off wins since Paul Brown died.

Kevin, I wouldn't worry about this too much just yet.  Historically these extensions get worked late in the summer.  Here's a few examples...

Joe Mixon --------- Sept. 1st
AJ Green ---------- Sept. 11th
Geno Atkins ------ Aug. 28th
Carlos Dunlap ---- Aug. 28th
Andy Dalton ------ Aug. 4th
Gio Bernard ------- Sept. 4th
Vontaze Burfict ---- Sept 7th

Now it doesn't always happen this way, but it does more often than not.

That said, the rest of your post is spot on.  Bates is an absolute must-sign. 

People may not want to hear this, but he's the only elite level player on this entire roster.  While Boyd and Higgins are damn fine receivers, they ranked in the low 20's, high 30's in production.  While Joe Mixon is an above average back, he's nowhere near the elite RB's.  While Joe Burrow had an impressive start to his career, he's not quite there yet.  But Bates is an elite level safety.  He's one of the very best in the entire league.

So, yeah there is absolutely no excuse to not get this deal done.  The cap space is there and the coming few years should provide plenty of flexibility in managing a huge raise.

Fwiw, I think it will get done.  Just be a patient.  The time to panic will be if it's not done by the season opener.  The Bengals don't typically work deals during the season and using a tag on him after the season isn't the best approach.  And obviously letting him walk would be the absolute worst.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jesse Bates On Sports Illustrated Under Age 25 All-Star Team - Wes Mantooth - 07-04-2021, 11:38 AM