Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesse Bates On Sports Illustrated Under Age 25 All-Star Team
(07-05-2021, 03:37 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: No way in hell we let him walk.  

Worst case scenario: we tag him just to give us more time to work out a long-term deal.

The Tag IS the worst case scenario because it just ticks players and player reps off.  It does not give teams an extra year to work a contract. It only makes the player want to leave more.  Some fans may wonder why, and fans may see nothing wrong with The Tag, but players do.  The one year tag gives the player no security and if he gets injured, no team may want the player.  When a player gives a team good years, he expects rewarded with a good long term contract, not the slap in the face tag.  If Bengals do not want to sign him long term, there are many other teams that will. So a player would rather have another team sign them long term than be tagged one more year by a team showing him no respect. Plus these players would like to have a home and a family. A good young player like Bates should be able to put down roots for him and his family, not be jerked around by a franchise that refuses to sign him. 

It would also make no sense on Bengals part to use the tag.  For one more year they pay him at top salary tag price, and lose a very good young player after that year. Then what, the Bengals go shopping for another safety, and they will not find one as good and young as Bates. 

I would like to say, no way they let him walk. But we are talking Mike Brown and Family who let Montoya and Zeitler walk as Mikey said, " Why should I pay a Guard ".   Mikey may also feel Safeties deserve little money.  Mike Brown and Family worry me over Going CHEAP in the past. You would think it's just common sense to build a good team around Burrow with Bates a part of it, but Mike Brown Family doesn't always show common sense. This is backed up by 30 years without a play-off win since Paul Brown died, and the Kids took over. 

Sign Bates NOW. I also don't like the concept of waiting until first week of September. They should be Focused on first game of season at that point. They should know now if they are going to resign him or not. We are not talking about somebody just barely hanging on. We are talking about the best young Safety in The NFL. If Bengals don't know by now if they are going to resign the best young safety in The NFL, then I wish Mike Brown and Family would just sell the team to people who aren't so wicky wacky at running a team.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jesse Bates On Sports Illustrated Under Age 25 All-Star Team - kevin - 07-06-2021, 07:07 AM