Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.14 Average
Are We Going To Keep Ignoring Biden Being Insane?
(07-07-2021, 09:35 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: You can be progressive in one position and conservative in another. For a long time, the black community was progressive when it came to racial equality but conservative when it came to LGBTQ+, which caused many gay black men to be "on the down low."

I'm speaking less about the individual people and more about the movements as a whole. And all of those movements towards equality were unequivocally progressive movements. By definition. 

Plus, you can't really compare historical figures to modern standards.  Abraham Lincoln was extremely progressive for his Era but comparing his beliefs to even conservatives nowadays would make him seem like a racist nut job. 

I'm not sure what you mean when you say some social conservatives were against slavery. I'd have to understand who you're referring to with that. Conservatism is, after all, the political ideology that wants to keep things, especially social hierarchies, in place or, in some cases, go back to previous social hierarchies. 

I’m responding to you saying social conservatives are on the losing side of everything when there are very few examples of pure social conservatives. You could pick about any one of your examples and find people that championed that cause but not the others. Including anti-slavery people who would have also opposed civil rights.

I’m for a lot of things you listed although I wasn’t always for some of them. Nobody ever called me a progressive although technically that’s what I was. I am pro-life, and although I realize that is no longer a sustainable stance, I still think sometime in the future, and it may be a long time, future generations will be stunned that we were ok with it.

Edit: Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama all opposed gay marriage. We’re they social conservative losers?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are We Going To Keep Ignoring Biden Being Insane? - michaelsean - 07-07-2021, 09:58 PM