Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.14 Average
Are We Going To Keep Ignoring Biden Being Insane?
(07-07-2021, 09:58 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’m responding to you saying social conservatives are on the losing side of everything when there are very few examples of pure social conservatives. You could pick about any one of your examples and find people that championed that cause but not the others. Including anti-slavery people who would have also opposed civil rights.

I’m for a lot of things you listed although I wasn’t always for some of them. Nobody ever called me a progressive although technically that’s what I was. I am pro-life, and although I realize that is no longer a sustainable stance, I still think sometime in the future, and it may be a long time, future generations will be stunned that we were ok with it.

Well no one is going to call you a progressive for being anti-slavery today because that progressive movement has been so ingrained in society that it is expected from everyone. Being pro-slavery was a conservative stance on the 1800s. Now it's just a crazy person's stance. 

The same thing occurred with the conservative stance of anti-women's suffrage and most of the other movements I mentioned. The progressive stances on this are expected so they are no longer progressive, just common sense.

I admit that abortion is the one that is "settled" but still contested so it is not in the same place as the other historical movements I mentioned.

We'll see how it evolves over time. 

And I agree there are very few pure social conservatives just like there are very few pure progressives. No group is monolithic. There are some progressives in regards to women's rights and racial minorities rights who have not yet joined the progressive side of trans rights. 

But history shows us that, eventually, society moves in the progressive direction. 

There has never been a less progressive generation than the previous generation (within its own society or culture). At least not in recorded history. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are We Going To Keep Ignoring Biden Being Insane? - CJD - 07-07-2021, 10:12 PM