Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignoring health issues almost cost me; my journey goes on (update)
(07-15-2021, 09:33 AM)Deacon Wrote: Hang in there, man. Currently fighting the Non-Hodgkin's, myself.

If you want to shoot the shit with someone that understands how godawful chemo and radiation/proton beam can be, hit me up any time. Hope you've got a good team and feel in qualified hands. Great message, by the way.

Praying for remission for you.

Thanks and likewise as well. I begin my radiation next week, I get 6 full blasts over a span of 3 days, so two a day. This is to not only kill off any possible lingering cancer cells, but to wipe my immune system out down to nothing for the transplant to occur (along with two days of heavy chemo this weekend). From what I have researched and heard, I have a great team, and my room and unit I am on is world class level (I got admitted today for next 4-5 weeks). Heck even have my Xbox hooked up to an HDMI port for the tv embedded in the wall! ANd the food so far is actually good, which is a huge mental boost lol.

(07-15-2021, 11:23 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Thanks for posting Millhouse. Something to add, if you do go to Dr and are given the ok but know there’s something not right, keep pursuing. I have heart disease and started getting dizzy often. Told my family Dr and my Cardiologist as well. They kept telling me to let then know if it got worse or I fainted (this is after I already had syncope once). 2 months ago while carrying plants I started getting dizzy and then had a heart attack which led to a double bypass and aortic valve replacement. Thanks to the VA, this $250,000 (and counting) surgery cost me nothing. You make a very good point about not ignoring health insurance.

Major health scares tend to open the eyes of those affected. Truthfully, had I read your story 2 months ago, I probably would have opened a beer, lit a cigarette and told myself “meh, not going to happen to me” and went on business as usual. Yet, after experiencing a major health scare, I am aware of how quickly life can change in literally seconds. I now have a valve from a cow in my chest, which will need replaced in 10-15yrs. I’m 54yrs old. Recovery from open heart is not fun. However, I’m blessed to have a chance to do this again when it’s time.

Great to hear you are ok from all of that. Yeah, I mentioned way up above getting checked out isn't always a guarantee to catch anything, but its about helping your odds. Not all Doctors are perfect or know everything so to speak either, so you are 100% right. Getting second or third or more opinions is sometimes what it takes to find the right Dr. to diagnose something correctly. 

And I want to comment on the insurance more, but I dont want it tread into a P&R discussion in here. But the reality is that crap isnt cheap in the medical world. I took an abulance ride for about 30 minutes total that I got a bill for over $5,000, which insurance would then cover. For me thats the tip of the tip of the iceberg of the massive costs I am racking up. But it is also something anyone could get a bill for someday. 

(07-16-2021, 07:37 AM)SladeX Wrote: Having covid changed my outlook. I'm not ready to step in a cage like I was 10 years ago, but still in very good health. I figured if I got covid it would be no big deal. No. Big deal. It kicked my butt , not hospitalized, but I did develop pneumonia. I'm STILL not 100%. So we are downsizing, I'm working a less demanding board, and I'm cautious about how I feel when exerting myself. Before I was always full steam ahead, pain don't hurt, etc etc. Now I am trying to pay attention. I'm bad to not pay attention...

I got the vaccine. Normally I would not have, believing my body should be my first line of defense. Let it fight things off. If possible. But apparently immune response is all over the map with this thing.

PS this post is NOT intended to be another covid discussion starter, but highlight my changing attitude when hit with something unexpected.

Hey man, I went my whole life with no need to go to the Doctor other than a rare sore throat once every few years. Then once 2020 was over, I was like 2021 will be a much better year! Hahaha nope. Eventually everyone will get hit by something unexpected. Hopefully its in the very later years of life when it's expected, but nonetheless it will happen. And even though when I should beat what I have now, I know something else will hit me at some point (hopefully that time when I am really old).
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ignoring health issues - fredtoast - 07-12-2021, 05:48 PM
RE: Ignoring health issues - NATI BENGALS - 07-12-2021, 06:27 PM
RE: Ignoring health issues - XenoMorph - 07-13-2021, 09:02 AM
RE: Ignoring health issues - Millhouse - 07-13-2021, 12:11 PM
RE: Ignoring health issues - Wes Mantooth - 07-13-2021, 03:04 PM
RE: Ignoring health issues - Millhouse - 07-14-2021, 04:16 PM
RE: Ignoring health issues - Millhouse - 07-14-2021, 04:32 PM
RE: Ignoring health issues - kalibengal - 08-05-2021, 11:26 AM