Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High school locker rooms and transgender
(11-06-2015, 11:15 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm not trying to be mean, but, Lucie, but did you actually read your article? I'll sum it up for you:

The trans community uses that word as a term of endearment to take power away from those who use it as a slur, but it should not be used by those who are outside of the community. Within the trans community, there are some who disagree with trans use of it, but some high profile people suggest they are merely a minority. The author states that he has no say in the matter since he is not trans, but he wants both sides to see where the other is coming from. It's possible to be gay/trans and be conservative in this sense. It's also possible that a word can be repurposed to create an identity for a group.

It really wasn't that hard of a read... And, yes, it's a slur. As RuPaul is quoted as saying in the article you posted, he can say they word, the n word, and f** because he has lived that life. He can take power away from the hate and use the words.

The whole "only these people can use this word" thing is bullshit top to bottom. 
If it's offensive, it's offensive. It can't be not offensive just because of who says it. 

It's stupid. 

I don't use those words because to me, the risk of being label a "bigot" or "racist" is worse than my hatred for that stupid logic. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: High school locker rooms and transgender - RoyleRedlegs - 11-06-2015, 11:50 PM